Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for an experienced design leader to run and grow our Brand Studio here in San Francisco, our headquarters.
Intercom is at a hugely exciting point in its history: we’re one of the fastest-growing and most-admired startups for design in the world today. This role will involve evolving a world-class San Francisco team (currently consisting of approximately 20 Brand Designers, Strategists, Illustrators, Writers and Producers), as well as impacting how we design across the company. The Brand Studio plays a pivotal role in not only bringing our technology to market, but also in visualizing and verbalizing the culture of the company both internally and externally. The Studio works on projects that span interactive design, physical spaces such as product launch events and industry conferences, internal communications design, print, integrated campaigns and everything in between.
This is a rare chance for an ambitious design leader to have an impact at a unique, breakout, design-centric technology company.
We strive to create a genuinely great environment for design minded people to do the best work of their lives. Two of our co-founders were previously designers, as was our VP of Product, so design has always taken a central role in the company. We blog, podcast, and speak publicly about design and product. We’re serious and proud of our focus on solving real customer problems and executing to a high standard. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a happy, sustainable, enabling, fun work environment along the way.
If you’re passionate about both helping the Brand Studio team grow and learn, and overseeing the design of high-quality brand messaging that communicates how we solve real problems for engaged customers, you’ll fit right in.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing and scaling the San Francisco brand design team through a new phase of growth and increased impact to the Intercom business.
- Leading a world-class design team by hiring the best, managing performance, and mentoring your team.
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance and ensuring they are delivering high-quality work that meets customer and business needs.
- Defining career paths, helping people to identify opportunities for growth and define plans for achieving measurable goals.
- Collaborating closely with other Design leaders (across Product and Workplace design in San Francisco, Dublin and London) to evolve the global Brand Design function, our culture, structure, processes, and values.
- Working with leaders of other functions (e.g. PM, Eng, Research, Analytics, Marketing) to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively to execute on company strategy.
- Defining vision and strategy for how we bring our products and technology to market in exciting and innovative ways.
- Ensuring the team is delivering high-quality design work that delivers on our business strategy and mission.
Representing the Intercom Brand Studio publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, community outreach, etc.
What skills do I need? 📖
- 7+ years of experience managing a team of designers in a fast-growing environment.
- Experience directly managing managers of individual contributors.
- Ability to motivate and inspire people to grow, learn, succeed, do their very best work.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Experience hiring and managing performance.
- Experience working on a broad variety of products and customer touch points at significant scale.
- Strong sense of design sensibilities, from high level strategic direction down to small design details.
- Strong systems and conceptual thinker, ability to understand complex systems.
- Ability to effect change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and this role will be a key part in driving that change.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A passion for building and making. A desire to make things better. A sense of optimism.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.