Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for an experienced design manager to grow our people and products. Design managers at Intercom directly support product designers in delivering the best work they can while also working on high-level strategic design projects themselves. The opportunity to have impact at both of these levels is massive: you’d be joining as just the third product design manager in the whole company, so you’ll have very real ownership and potential to define the role and make your mark. At the same time, we’re not just starting out—there’s a stable and mature environment and an existing base on which you can build. All together, you’ll have the opportunity to do the best work of your life.
Intercom is a genuinely great environment for product people: two of our co-founders and our SVP of Product were previously designers, so design is a central role in the company. We’re a product-driven company and take pride in solving real customer problems and executing with high standards. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a fun, sustainable, enabling work environment along the way.
If you’re passionate about helping product designers to grow and learn while shipping high-quality product that solves real problems for customers, we'd love to hear from you! By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don't let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing a small team in SF of mid- to senior-level product designers
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance, helping them to develop clear career development goals and action plans on how to achieve them
- Ensuring the smooth running of projects on our teams and delivery of high-quality design work so that we can continually improve how we design and build products
- Helping to shape the future vision of Messenger and driving strategic design work in exciting areas, such as conversational design, messengers, machine learning and more
- Working hands on with product designer on Messenger to define problems, work with and design systems, explore & converge, and create and ship high quality interfaces. Up to 50% of this role could be initially spent on IC work.
- Partnering directly with our Director of Product Design in SF to evolve the Product Design team: our people, our structure, our processes, our beliefs
- Collaborating with leaders across the company: other design leaders, Research, Data Analytics, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, and more
- Growing Intercom Design by recruiting and representing us publicly in ways like writing for our blog, speaking, tweeting, community building and outreach, and more
What skills do I need? 📖
- 2+ years experience managing product designers with a passion for enabling the success of others and supporting their growth
- Experience designing digital products and systems. This isn’t solely a people management role—you’ll also be involved with and guide the product work. All of our managers care deeply about and actively engage in our product development process, details, and outcomes.
- A working knowledge of the full stack of product design, from systems thinking to visual design. You don’t need to be a specialist in all of these things, but you should be able to have informed, intelligent conversations.
- Ability to communicate with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Ability to envision and lead change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and design managers are a key part in driving that change. We’re looking for someone who aligns with our values, but also who makes us better.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. Passion for building product. A desire to make things better.
- Ability to build strong and positive cross-functional relationships
- Passion for building amazing products that people love
We'd also love to see your portfolio of design work. It should touch on the problems you solved (ideally focused on designing software products) and the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.