The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join our team. This person will lead a group of high-performing teams that fuel our 🚀 growth. Our teams in San Francisco build and maintain our Messenger (our flagship product) our go-to-market expertise, and our on-boarding experiences, ensuring new customers are set up for success when they start using Intercom. In terms of technology, we’re not prescriptive, though we have established patterns that have served us well as we’ve scaled to billions of requests per month.
As a Principal Engineer, you will have considerable impact on the team, our culture, our architecture and methodology, but also on the company's bottom line. Over the past 7+ years, we've built a great team by nurturing, scaling, and adapting our culture with strong engineering values and engineering principals across multiple R&D offices (SF 🇺🇸, Dublin 🇮🇪, and London 🇬🇧).
Helping steer the right tech choices & standards & supporting the growth of the engineering team here, our Principal Engineers are an integral part of our product organisation.
They serve as technical leaders for an organization by ensuring that the teams are making good decisions, reviewing tech plans, and getting hands-on with design and implementation – especially on the group’s gnarliest problems.
Some of the complex technical challenges we’re currently tackling include:
- Assessing, measuring, and optimising perceived performance for our Messenger,
- Forwards-compatible object modeling to support constant experimentation and optimization of our pricing and packaging,
- Designing an optimal way for data to flow within and outside of our application,
Supporting continuously larger customers, who need to work with larger data sets. In this role, your impact will be broad. The stage is set for you to do the best work of your career.
What will I be doing? 🚀
You should love the idea of getting your hands dirty, but also know how to get out of the way as the teams with whom you work to thrive and grow.
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers’ customers. We’re growing and so are they
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight
- Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation. This role has a mix of both hands-on development as well as lead/architecture work
- A principal engineer understands the different buckets of work in an org, from new product development, to scaling concerns, to paying down tech debt. They help shape decision making around how to spend engineering capacity within their org.
- Distills large complex problems into a format that’s understandable. Communicates this with the wider R&D org to help drive decision making.
- Play an active role in hiring, mentoring and career development of other engineers
- Raise the bar for technical standards, performance, reliability, and operational excellence
What skills do I need? 📖
- Ideally, you’ve built an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created
- Significant, demonstrated impact that your work has had on the product and/or the teams
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- You will have experience with Distributed systems
- Knowledge of Web or mobile animation
- 2+ years of experience as the primary technical leader for an org with multiple teams and 20+ engineers
- Working directly with leadership partners in other disciplines. Strong sense of product strategy.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity commensurate with this leadership role
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.