The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join our team in San Francisco. This person will lead a group of high-performing teams that fuel our 🚀 growth. The teams include expertise on everything from the client-side technologies used to build our public-facing sites, to the systems that power our Marketing, Sales, and Finance teams' interactions with our customers, to the experience that guides our customers from discovering our products through our purchase flow.
In this role, you will have considerable impact not just on the team and our culture, but also on the company's bottom line. Over the past 7+ years, we've built a great team by nurturing, scaling, and adapting our culture with strong engineering values and engineering principals across multiple offices (SF 🇺🇸, Dublin 🇮🇪, and London 🇬🇧).
As leaders in Engineering, we take our jobs as managers seriously, but we're builders and creators at heart. In joining, you should love the idea of getting your hands dirty, but also know how to get out of the way for your team to thrive. You must love collaborating with others, seeing them flourish and grow, and continually challenging them to do their best work.
We’ve built an environment that prioritizes progress over perfection, powered by honest, respectful, and candid discussion. We don’t blame other people or teams: we are open and honest about our mistakes, and work to learn and improve with each step we take. We make progress through supportive and clear communication buttressed by a firm commitment to decisions made.
What will I do? 🚀
- Lead a number of talented Engineering Managers
- Collaborate with colleagues across departments to create solutions for our most complex business work, from pricing models to data architecture (and more), that enable our communal success.
- Coach, mentor, and influence some of the most exceptional engineers in the engineering world, ensuring that each team member is set up for success
- Support on-time, high quality execution of both short- and long-term projects and initiatives.
- Foster and drive operational excellence, quality, security, and privacy initiatives across your teams, and the entire engineering organization
- Grow and scale the organization, sustainably and responsibly
- Strive daily to reinforce and evolve our amazing culture
- Work with your team and our people operations partners to maintain high performance, awesome morale, and career growth for all your team.
What skills do I need? 📖
- An ability to forge strong and effective partnerships with peers and executives across multiple departments, aligning on shared goals without compromising clarity or accountability.
- A wealth of technical knowledge and expertise, backed by experience doing world-class work.
- Experience managing and scaling engineering teams through multiple phases of growth.
- Leadership and mentorship: inspiring and coaching people to help them do the best work of their career; helping people identify opportunities for their own growth, and define plans for achieving measurable goals.
- An ability to translate and steer ambiguous requests into clear outcomes.
- Organization and context-switching: this role will focus on a number of initiatives, simultaneously.
- The ability to strive for constant growth, and aim to make progress every single day.
- Humility, honesty, and integrity.
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- You identify very strongly with our 'Progress over Perfection' value, and thrive in this type of working environment.
- You’re opinionated about your work, ready to stand up for something you believe in, without being dogmatic.
- You have experience with systems used by partner organizations – e.g.: payment processing (Stripe/Zuora), advertising (Google products), demand generation (Intercom, Marketo), etc.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.