The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
The opportunity is to work directly on Intercom’s most high-priority projects, lead other designers and teams in solving challenging and stimulating design problems, and uplevel and evolve our culture and processes in an environment that deeply values and understands good design.
Intercom is at a hugely exciting point in its history: we’re one of the fastest-growing and most-admired startups for design in the world today. This is our most senior I.C. design position in the company. You will work on challenging, rewarding problems. You will stretch, learn, grow, and have fun doing it.
This role will involve working as a key member of a world-class Product Design team (currently consisting of 4 Product Designers in our London office, as well as another 15 Product Designers in Dublin and San Francisco). You will lead the design strategy and execution on projects that are top company priorities. You will impact the product and business by delivering design solutions of the highest quality, and impact how we design across the company by sharing your knowledge and experience. You will drive the design of important, core technologies like our Operator Bot that are based in London. Our Articles, Reporting, and Support & Retain teams are also based here, along with some very exciting stuff that we can’t quite talk about yet!
You will report to and partner closely with our Director of Product in London, and together you will be responsible for upleveling the team and delivering world-class product design work. This is a leadership role on the Individual Contributor track, meaning you will not line manage people directly but will be expected to act as a mentor and example who will help all designers in the org to learn and grow. You will also work closely with our Director of Product Design in Dublin. You will be a member of our R&D Leadership group and influence the direction and strategy of how we evolve and improve our broader team. You will also work with other design leaders across other offices to help build an exceptional global design team.
This is a rare chance for an experienced, exceptional, and ambitious designer to grow, learn, and have impact at a unique, breakout, design-centric technology company.
We strive to create a genuinely great environment for Product people to do the best work of their lives. Two of our co-founders were previously designers, as was our VP of Product, so design has always taken a central role in the company. We blog, podcast, and speak publicly about design and product. We’re serious and proud of our focus on solving real customer problems and executing to a high standard. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a happy, sustainable, enabling, fun work environment along the way.
If you’re passionate about the craft and process of building world-class product, helping other Product Designers teams to grow and learn, and solving real problems for engaged customers, you’ll fit right in.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Leading the design effort on projects that are top-level priority within Intercom.
- Contributing design work directly yourself. This can range from defining high-level solutions to getting involved in delivering high-fidelity designs..
- Bringing an exceptional ability in product, interaction, and visual design to bear on the work that we produce.
- Guiding the work of other designers on your projects. Providing feedback to other designers on their work. Ensuring that the overall team is delivering high-quality work that meets user and business needs.
- Pushing the boundaries of what we deliver in terms of design quality. We care deeply about both product strategy and execution, and you will be involved in raising the standard for both.
- Helping other designers to grow by serving as an example, guiding their work directly on projects that you are involved in, and mentoring as they grow and improve.
- Partnering with the London Director of Product in scaling the London design team through multiple phases of growth. Building a world-class design team by identifying ways in which we should evolve and improve our team. Initiating and driving specific Design Ops initiatives.
- Collaborating closely with other Design leaders (across Product and Brand design in Dublin and San Francisco) to evolve the global Product Design function, our culture, structure, processes, and beliefs.
- Working with leaders of other functions (e.g. PM, Eng, Research, Analytics, Marketing) to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively to execute on company strategy.
- Defining vision and strategy for products in exciting areas of design (e.g. conversational design, messengers, machine learning).
- Representing Intercom Product Design publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, community outreach, etc.
What skills do I need? 📖
- Experience working on broad, sophisticated design projects in a fast-growing environment.
- Exceptional skills in the craft and execution of product design work, from high level strategic direction down to UI design details. A highly-attuned product sensibility.
- Strong systems and conceptual thinker, ability to understand complex systems.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Ability to effect change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and this role will be a key part in driving that change.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A passion for building product. A desire to make things better. A sense of optimism.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.