What's the opportunity? 🤔
At Intercom, product researchers are trusted advisors, merchants of empathy who champion the use of research to provide the insights, data and ideas that help our teams make better, more empathetic decisions.
We are seeking a product researcher to join our Discovery & Purchase Team based in San Francisco. This team is responsible for things like helping our prospects & customers understand Intercom, reducing their barriers to experience our products, and helping them get the most value from Intercom. It’s a unique opportunity to partner with, guide and inspire a central product team at Intercom – by developing a deep understanding of the problems and unmet needs our current and future customers have, and uncovering meaningful insights to drive great design and innovation.
What will I be doing? 🚀
Researchers at Intercom study one of the most complex, challenging, and rapidly evolving type of relationship - the relationships between businesses and their customers. In the pursuit of our mission to make internet business personal, we conduct research on fascinating topics such as communication, messaging, and AI.
We are a product-driven team, and in this role you’ll be partnering with a dynamic, cross-functional product team of product managers, designers, content strategists, analysts and engineers to define research problems and then execute research studies to solve them.
- You’ll seek out open questions and develop fuzzy unknowns into formal research plans that will empower your team to gain meaningful insights into their customers
- You’ll conduct a wide variety of mixed-method research studies, from 1:1 interviews with customers, to large-scale surveys and everything in between
- You’ll effectively communicate research insights and recommendations across Intercom, to inform our business strategy and improve the experience of our customers
- You’ll empower your product teams and others in the organization to get closer to customers by building out research initiatives
- You’ll mentor others on best research practices, and help us continue to build out a modern and transformational research practice
What skills do I need? 📖
- Passion for building amazing products that people love
- Degree related to product research (e.g. HCI, social sciences, etc.) and four or more years experience researching cross-platform digital products and/or services. Bonus points for experiences with commercial B2B, B2C, SaaS or Mobile products
- In-depth understanding of user-centered design principles and UX best practices
- Excellent communication skills, i.e. the ability to communicate your research findings in creative and impactful ways, combined with a strong attention to detail
- Strong sense of independence, ownership, and initiative; ability to determine what to work on, how to accomplish it, and when to deliver
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- Comfortable working with distributed teams in multiple time zones
Experience with some of the following research method and tools:
- Formative qualitative research (e.g. ethnography, contextual enquiry, workplace interviews, Jobs to Be Done, diary studies, competitive analysis etc.)
- Evaluative qualitative research (e.g. in-person and remote usability & user testing, lab studies, RITE studies, intercept interviews, task analysis etc.)
- Quantitative research (e.g. survey research, experimental design, A/B tests, benchmarking, log data analysis)
- Data & coding skills (R, SQL, data visualization)
- Experience using any of the following: survey tools (Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey), video editing tools (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut), Usertesting.com, Inspectlet, Userzoom, Respondent.io, Ethnio
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Experience mentoring other researchers
The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!