The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Do you cringe when a CSS animation is janky? … open up an inspector to see how a site has implemented a particular effect? … check your work in browsers besides Chrome? ... enjoy crafting pixel perfect performant webpages? If so, you’re in the right place. We’re looking for a developer to join our team, and lead the charge to build amazing landing and marketing pages that tell the world about our products, features, people, and more.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Collaborate on a team of designers, developers, marketers, and more to transform ideas into unique, human experiences for current and future customers of Intercom. Our team creates award-winning sites that are shared widely and often featured on sites like Product Hunt and Hacker News. Check out our Brand Studio here.
- Obsess about how we build our products, in areas ranging from performance to animation, accessibility and more.
- Have pride in the quality of your work. Join us to do the best work of your career.
- Have regular opportunities and support for career growth. We’re in it for the long haul.
What skills do I need? 📖
- 4-5+ years of experience building sites using bare-bones HTML, CSS and JS. We love and use frameworks, but you need to understand the rudiments.
- Building and maintaining reusable components
- Implementing responsive layouts with adaptive grids
- Dynamic and performant animations
- Familiarity using AJAX to create clear and seamless UX
- Well-versed in use of event handlers for form submissions, scrolljacking, etc.
- Understanding of cross-browser compatibility
- Semantic HTML
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Work experience on a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team
- Working with and managing design systems
- Knowledge/understanding of type layout/hierarchy
- Experience working with tools like Intercom, Marketo, Google Tag Manager, and more.
- Thorough understanding of techniques to have browser compatibility, backwards and forwards.
- Comfort in Sketch, Photoshop, or similar design tools
- Experience with server-side code and frameworks (we use Ruby on Rails for many things, but familiarity with any server-side work is okay)
- Technologies we employ:
- BEM or other approaches to writing CSS
- Rails asset pipelines
- Wordpress or PHP
- PWAs, complex images, advanced animation
- webpack, babel, and npm/yarn
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.