The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
The Data Engineering team builds distributed applications, systems, and tools that empowers Intercom to make data-informed decisions. We’re looking for a data engineer with a passion for tackling large-scale data challenges to come join our growing team.
At Intercom, data scientists, analysts and data engineers have a highly collaborative relationship. We’re building a highly configurable data platform, enabling our partners to self-serve by building their own end-to-end data workflows, from transforming data and evaluating experiments to analysing usage and predictive modeling. As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will evolve and extend this platform to support a variety of highly impactful business and product-focused projects.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You will design, build and operate data pipelines that scale with the growing velocity and volume of our data
- Create configurable components that can be stitched together to build data workflowsImplement systems to monitor our infrastructure, detect and surface data quality issues and alert as appropriate
- Partner with analysts, data scientists and engineers in developing tooling and infrastructure to support their projects
- Maintain, support and continuously improve our infrastructure and participate in an on-call rotation (during working hours only)
- Customise and enhance our workflow management and BI tools (we run a forks of Apache Airflow and Superset), adding new features and contributing improvements back to the community
Example projects could include:
- Updating an existing pipeline to ingest data from a re-architected data source whilst maintaining a continuous service for downstream consumers
- Utilising machine learning to identify business opportunities and further personalise our services
- Developing new data discovery tools enabling the entire company to find and use rich datasets to inform their decision making
What skills do I need? 📖
- You have 1-3 years of experience in a software engineering role with a strong focus on data
- You have a particular interest in building systems that scale
- You’re familiar with batch and stream processing technologies (e.g. Hadoop/Hive/Spark/Kafka)
- You have practical experience and proficiency with a high level programing language (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby, Perl) and SQL
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Python experience - our core data platform is built on Python and Apache Airflow
- Experience building and operating distributed, highly-scalable software
- Familiarity with AWS (Redshift, Aurora, S3, Kinesis, Lambda, DynamoDB)
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.