Our development leaders foster an environment of passion, craftsmanship and innovation within the teams they lead, and own the technical development and delivery of Intelex software products. Managers work with their teams and departmental stakeholders to delight our customers and empower them with industry-leading capabilities and UX! Within their teams, Managers build a culture of continuous improvement across development, quality assurance and product delivery!
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Provide direct management of SW Developers across multiple Scrum Teams (typically 2-3 teams).
- Works closely with developers to break down business requirements into work items within the scope of multiple development teams.
- Works with R&D leadership to develop and monitor KPIs, metrics and achievements that lead development teams to success.
- Proactively identifies gaps in technology, process, product, and team workflow and acts independently to coordinate resourcing and work items to solve these problems across multiple teams.
- Identifies and leads departmental initiatives to improve technology, process, team workflow and product, with the aim of implementing standard methodologies to optimize development cycles as well as increase predictability and product quality.
- Manages performance and leadership development of their direct reports.
- Coaches and mentors members of multiple teams and manages their professional development.
- Works in an agile team environment that practices continuous improvement when planning, estimating, and building software.
- Facilitates and manages delivery of project commitments by working proactively with product management and other key collaborators to identify and navigate obstacles to effectively implement the product roadmap and other significant deliverables.
- Collaborate with cross-functional project teams including Architects, QA, Product Management, and others to please our clients.
- Coordinate building key performance goals for functions and direct reports
- Supervise key hiring and talent development programs to build a premier engineering team that develops and delivers high quality industry leading EHSQ software in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the development of tactical programs to pursue strategic goals and objectives
- Foster a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation, and customer focus and a fun work environment while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our R&D organization.
- Drive Fortive Business System (FBS) as a practitioner and leader
Reports to the Senior Manager, Engineering,
Skills & Work Traits
- Great attitude and work ethic that inspires others in the organization.
- Team builder – identify and develop the skills, competencies & behaviours within the software engineering team to support continued rapid growth of the business
- Great teammate - develop strong collaboration with peers across the organization, including product management, customer support, sales, and information assurance
- Disciplined – work closely with peer functions to ensure predictable and reliable achievement of objectives (e.g., roadmap execution, budgets, etc.)
- Highly motivated, proactive, creative, and self-directed with a commitment to excellence.
- Preference for collaborative work within an agile practice.
- Exceptional analysis and troubleshooting skills, and persistence in solving problems.
- Active interest and participation in DevOps as a culture.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and participating in a culture of writing things down.
- Exceptional research skills combined with the ability to generate options to make technology and architectural decisions.
- Able to switch context between the big picture and the details to identify and evangelize the creation of effective user experiences.
- Proven ability to coach and mentor developers of all levels.
- Analytical and data oriented – taking data and turning it into insight.
- Process oriented and comfortable with technology tools and systems to drive process efficiencies and improvements.
- Ability to lead change and turn something that is ambiguous into something that is structured (comfort with ambiguity and change in general).
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention-to-detail with ability to quickly catch pitfalls and potential issues.
- Leader that will embrace Fortive Business System and tools to drive growth.
- Expertise developing large scale web applications and a thorough understanding of common architecture choices for them.
- Expertise with the concepts and building blocks of large-scale applications including messaging systems, load balancing, microservice architecture, and production telemetry.
- Expertise with DevOps pipelines and cloud deployment tools like Kubernetes or equivalent technologies.
- Excellent understanding of relational database design including table design and optimization, transactions, stored procedures, and constraints.
- A solid understanding of user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) principles.
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Self-guided learning of new tools, technologies, and stacks.
- Understanding of NoSQL and unstructured storage technologies used to optimize high-scale applications and the skills to apply them to different parts of a system.
- 5+ years of experience coding and delivering software as a team member
- Strong understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and Agile Scrum development methodology and in leading Agile Scrum development teams.
- Ten or more years professional experience preferred.
- Professional experience within a software product or SaaS organization preferred.
- Previous experience as a people manager for Agile Development Teams preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or College Diploma in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent experience.
- Master’s Degree and/or vendor certifications (such as Microsoft Certified Professional) valued.
- Please note that this role requires a satisfactory Criminal Background Check and Public Safety Verification
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
With more than 1,300 clients and 1.6 million users, Intelex Technologies, ULC is a global leader in environmental, health, safety and quality (EHSQ) management software. Since 1992 its scalable, web-based platform and applications have helped clients across all industries improve business performance, mitigate organization-wide risk, and ensure sustained compliance with internationally accepted standards (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001 and OHSAS 18001) and regulatory requirements. Intelex is one of North America’s fastest-growing tech companies who has recently been recognized as a Great Place to Work for over 7 years, Best Workplace in Technology, Best Workplace for Millennials and Canadian HR Team for fewer than 500 employees and has been recipient of Waterstone’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures award, and Deloitte’s Best Managed Companies award. For more information, visit https://www.intelex.com/careers or see what our employees are saying by following our #ProudIntelexian hashtag.