insitro is changing the way that drugs are discovered and developed for patients. We are building a platform that generates novel insights from applying machine learning to a combination of high-quality cellular data, generated in-house, and externally sourced human cohort data.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong financial acumen and demonstrated interest in building a career in strategic finance, evidenced by a broad range of financial modeling experience for the Life Sciences industry. This role requires outstanding data analysis, an ability to structure complex problems, and to drive scenario analysis to support internal and external facing finance or corporate development initiatives. You will build critical analyses and materials that further our relationship with pivotal external collaborators (i.e. investors & pharmaceutical partners) and that support external negotiations and future capital formation events.
This role is highly collaborative and will operate across the Finance Team and the Corporate Development and Strategy Team. You will also have the opportunity to work on a wide range of high impact corporate strategy projects for, and in partnership with, insitro's Executive Team.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone passionate about using their skills at the intersection of science, finance and business strategy to advance therapeutic discovery and help make a difference to patients!
Your Primary Duties Will Be:
Strategic Finance (Valuation, Forecasting, Cash Management)
- Own, update and enhance the company valuation model that is used as a basis for our long-term planning and investor communications
- Partner with FP&A to analyze liquidity, cash concentration and cash forecasting
- Partner with Senior Finance Leadership to evolve our capital allocation strategy and project level planning
- Partner with CFO / CBO to map out a range of growth, forecast, and valuation scenarios and enable scenario planning at the Leadership, Executive and Board level
- Support IR and sell side analyst interactions regarding company value trajectory and value inflection points
- Support future capital formation events
- Collaborate closely with scientific teams to craft financial analyses guiding material spend decisions
- Collaborate on treasury strategy and portfolio management decisions, to increase returns while managing risk effectively
Corporate Development & Strategy (Scenario and Decision Analysis, Special Projects)
- Support collaborations and business development activities through financial analyses, modeling, and materials development. Distill what matters most to generate recommendations, scenario analysis and key risks for deal structuring & external negotiations
- Assist with ad-hoc reporting and analysis to advise business decision-making
- Provide leverage to the team by leading the creation of high quality presentations for a range of key audiences, including potential partners, executives and the Board of Directors
- Support overall corporate strategy and assist senior leadership with high-impact special projects
You will be joining an exciting biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, while maintaining a culture of innovation. You will work as part of a close-knit team, learn career enhancing skills, and help shape insitro's culture, strategic direction, and overall impact!
Academics, Work Experience & Characteristics
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Business, Finance or related field
- Minimum of 3 years' work experience, inclusive of investment banking, management consulting in a corporate finance or equivalent division, or equities sell-side, with a clear focus on the pharma or biotech sector with a deeply quantitative lens
- Direct career experience in DCF asset valuation in biotech or pharma, SOTP company valuation, and 3-statement financial modeling
- Exceptional financial modeling skills, reporting metrics and presentation in Excel, Thinkcell, G-Sheets and G-Slides
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of capital markets - both public and private
- Deep understanding of financial business drivers in biotech
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, a highly analytical and inquisitive working style coupled with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with general direction and guidance
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a dynamic environment
Your Ways of Working and Alignment with insitro Values
- "Get Things Done": A self-starter, with a strong bias to action, who can intuitively prioritize and advance multiple projects under the resource, information and time constraints of an early stage startup
- "Engage with Respect": Prioritize a compassionate understanding of the needs and perspectives of insitro teams & leaders in every interaction and analysis
- "Own the Outcome": Proactively take ownership of solving problems
- Passion for making a difference in the world!
Nice to Have
- Experience with Anaplan or comparable FP&A system
- Experience with Oracle Cloud or comparable ERP
- Experience building Monte Carlo simulations
- Exposure to machine learning approaches, as applied to biology discovery or in related fields
- Exposure to, or keen understanding and interest in, working in a venture capital backed startup environment
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $150,000 - $175,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.