The heart of insitro’s strategy is the application of cutting edge machine learning to human biological data in order to discover medicines that matter to patients. We seek an experienced oncology leader who brings a stellar track record in translational research and drug discovery, but yet embraces bold, new scientific perspectives, poised to leverage the strengths of insitro’s platform to interrogate overlooked areas of cancer biology. We are a data driven company, and believe that our best chance of achieving outsized impact comes from being unafraid to take non-traditional approaches in pursuit of delivering therapies to patients.
In this leadership role, you will build the oncology therapeutic area (TA), formulate the research strategy for this TA, and operate as a key member of insitro’s R&D leadership team. Your primary duties will be to:
- Set the direction for insitro’s therapeutic strategy in oncology
- Recruit and lead a high performance team
- Work with other company leaders to identify and prioritize target indications and biologic mechanisms in this TA, and participate in assessing and prioritizing indications and programs in other TAs
- Partner with our corporate development team to identify, acquire or construct relevant human cohort data sets that can help inform our understanding of the disease
- Work cross-functionally to design machine learning models and experimental work that will help deconvolute oncogenic processes, stratify patients and identify drug targets
- Lead efforts to follow up on these targets with the goal of producing viable therapeutic interventions
- Lead external collaborations with partners and with other organizations and individuals in efforts related to the oncology area
You will be joining a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, but whose drug discovery and development organization is very much in formation. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- MD, PhD or MD/PhD in technical field (biology, immunology, genetics) or equivalent practical experience
- 20+ years of post-training experience in a role involving translational science or drug research and development, with at least 15 years of relevant industry experience that spans both research and early clinical development in oncology
- A track record of using unbiased, data-driven approaches for scientific and/or drug discovery, with an openness to the use of human clinical data as a primary discovery approach;
- A record of execution and innovation, exemplified by generating ideas, launching projects and advancing therapeutic candidates into the clinic;
- Extensive experience with a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art cellular and biochemical assays;
- Experience working on mechanisms associated with the tumor microenvironment is a strong plus
- Significant exposure to human genetics and an understanding of its importance in identifying valid therapeutic targets
- Demonstrated track record in building partnerships or collaborations with data scientists or computational biologists
- Track record of building and leading a high-performance team, including goal setting
- Ability to operate within a fast-moving, startup environment
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and an effective communicator
- Passion for making a difference in the world
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $260,000 - $340,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, the level at which they are actually hired, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning (ML) and data at scale to decode biology for transformative medicines. At the core of insitro’s approach is the convergence of in-house generated multi-modal cellular data and high-content phenotypic human cohort data. We rely on these data to develop ML-driven, predictive disease models that uncover underlying biologic state and elucidate critical drivers of disease. These powerful models rely on extensive biological and computational infrastructure and allow insitro to advance novel targets and patient biomarkers, design therapeutics and inform clinical strategy. insitro is advancing a wholly owned and partnered pipeline of insights and therapeutics in neuroscience, oncology and metabolism. Since launching in 2018, insitro has raised over $700 million from top tech, biotech and crossover investors, and from collaborations with pharmaceutical partners. For more information on insitro, please visit www.insitro.com.