Ingenuity Prep has formally announced that we will be virtual for the first half of the 2020-21 school year (August 2020 to January 2021) to keep our students and staff members safe. If you are currently out-of-state but interested in moving to the DC-area in the upcoming months, the virtual setting provides additional time to relocate and you are encouraged to apply.
Ingenuity Prep prepares PreK, elementary, and middle school students in Ward 8 to succeed in college and beyond as impactful civic leaders. Our innovative instructional model promotes small group learning for students, collaborative teaching teams, and robust coaching and professional development opportunities for teachers. Our teacher career ladder rewards strong performance over time, giving teachers the opportunity to earn higher levels of base compensation and bonuses as they demonstrate effectiveness with their students and colleagues. Our instructional leaders are charged with supporting teachers by providing clear expectations, ongoing feedback, and targeted development.
Our middle school program, which is in its first year, focuses on rigorous academics and social justice. We are looking for an experienced special educator who is deeply committed to students, has a passion for civic leadership and equity, and wants to work closely with their colleagues to build a new program for Ingenuity Prep’s students and families.
WHAT WE’RE ABOUT
- Mission: We’re closing the opportunity gap. Students and families in Southeast D.C. have too few options for high-quality elementary, middle, and high schools. Ingenuity Prep aspires to right this systemic injustice providing an exemplary educational option for Southeast D.C.’s students and families.
- Model: We pair high expectations with high support. Too often, our students are underestimated. At Ingenuity Prep, an innovative teacher development model, paired with best-in-class training from strong instructional leaders, allows us to grow great teachers who, ultimately, lead high-expectation and high-support classrooms.
- Results: Our students are defying expectations. Ingenuity Prep’s students outperform their neighborhood peers on rigorous, national, college-track assessments. Already out-performing many of their more privileged peers around the city, in the coming years, Ingenuity Prep’s students will provide an expectation-defying and achievement-gap-closing proof point — showing what our kids are capable of when we provide the right opportunities, expectations, and support.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a middle school special education teacher at Ingenuity Prep, you will:
- Build meaningful relationships with your students in grades 5-7th and their families as the foundation of your instruction.
- Work with students with IEPs for literacy or math instruction in resource-room, push-in, or pull-out settings; plan and execute rigorous lessons for all students you work with.
- Create a joyful, efficient, learning-focused classroom experience for students that leads to exemplary student growth -- both in academic achievement and in leadership skills
- Collaborate with and support colleagues in the classroom as you build and refine a new middle school program and through weekly professional development opportunities.
- Develop and implement IEPs that meet students’ needs and support their growth; evaluate progress and efficacy of IEPs regularly.
- Provide emotional constancy and support for your students -- and your colleagues.
- Communicate and work closely with students’ families, especially regarding progress towards IEP goals.
- Utilize Teach Like a Champion teaching techniques to ensure that routines and transitions are quick and effective.
- Receive regular, individualized coaching from IP’s instructional leadership team to grow your practice.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Ingenuity Prep may be the right fit for you if:
- You have at least two years of experience as a middle school special education teacher and a history of raising student achievement in a low-income school.
- You have a passion for English curriculum and social justice.
- You want to work closely with your peers in a collaborative teaching setting.
- You want to work in a feedback-rich culture, and are eager to grow your practice through individual coaching and professional development opportunities.
- You have a history of effectively using academic data to drive whole-group and small-group instruction.
- You believe effective instruction is full of joy and rigor.
- You have consistently built strong relationships with students and partnered with families as part of your plan for student success.
- You have a track record of holding high expectations for yourself and your students.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree, and ideally certification to teach in D.C.
MORE ABOUT US
Ingenuity Prep offers among the strongest compensation and benefits packages of any public charter school in Washington, D.C. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive compensation.
- 100% of medical and dental premiums for employees paid for by Ingenuity Prep, along with 100% of dependent premiums and 50% of spouse’s or domestic partner’s premiums.
- 100% of employee’s short and long-term disability and life insurance plans paid for by Ingenuity Prep.
- A minimum of two weeks maternity/paternity leave at 100% pay for all staff -- regardless of gender. Over time, that increases to as much as six weeks -- all at 100% pay.
- A 100% match -- up to 3% -- on your 401K retirement plan.
- A 100% Ingenuity Prep-paid cell phone plan. You can even bring your current number into our plan.
- MacBook Air computer for professional and personal use.
Ingenuity Prep does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, veteran status, religion, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.