Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
Attention: This position is suitable for remote work, with as-needed travel to the company's Chicago headquarters scheduled in collaboration with the Controller.
About The Role
We are looking for a Senior Staff Accountant to join our mission-driven, enthusiastic team in order to help drive various aspects of our accounting activity as the organization continues to grow. The ideal candidate will have 4+ years of of relevant work experience and will be ready to lead this job with energy, knowledge, skill, and a no-task-too-small attitude.
This individual will report directly to the Controller and will work with a team that operates in a fast-paced environment. This individual will have the opportunity to be a part of the company’s growth, while further developing their accounting skills, and collaborate across departments and interact with various levels of leadership.
- Maintain general ledger chart of accounts.
- Prepare month-end reconciliation for various accounts, including, but not limited to, prepaids; property, plant and equipment; leases; intangibles; accruals; and deferred revenue.
- Assist with inventory costing and revenue recognition, as needed.
- Code bi-weekly payroll journal entry.
- Assist in month-end consolidation – preparing elimination entries and financial reporting.
- Assist Controller in coordinating the year-end financial audit and preparing schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors.
- Recommend process improvements and enhance internal controls.
- Complete other ad-hoc projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience.
- Sound understanding of US GAAP.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people.
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Strong team player but also able to work independently.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, Outlook, and SharePoint.
- Ability to learn new skills and the desire for upward mobility and professional growth and enjoys working in fast paced environments.
- Positive attitude, ethics and values which support our company's values, and a healthy, high-performance culture.
- CPA (preferred but not required).
- Experience with Oracle (preferred but not required).
Salary Range: $100,000-$120,000
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (559) 321-2146.