We’re seeking an experienced design leader to drive the vision, strategy, and execution of the Gusto Design System. The ideal candidate will take a systems-mindset to build and integrate consistent, efficient components across the product portfolio. In this role you will partner with our Product Design, Brand Design, Engineering, and Product Management teams to build and deploy robust yet flexible design systems, processes, and tools that enable Gusto to scale our exceptional product quality to the next level. As the leader of a new and impactful team, you will also be a key contributor to building our design systems practice from the ground up!
Gusto is on a mission to create a world where work empowers a better life. We believe that people are the most important part of every business and we aim to help businesses build great places to work, where people thrive together. We're growing our team and are looking for exceptional designers to join us as we scale quickly and build the future of work for millions of businesses and their employees.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead the development of long-term vision and quarterly goals of the Gusto Design System
- Lead and contribute to the visual and technical direction of experience design, visual style, and technical tooling, with input from design and engineering teams
- Partner with engineering to establish, build, and maintain a comprehensive library of shared components
- Facilitate research activity to assess efficacy of the system as well as customer questions and needs
- Provide regular updates on the system’s goals, process, and tools to design, PM, and engineering teams along with key stakeholders
- Recruit, hire, and mentor a team of product designers focused on design systems
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 6+ years experience in product design, including experience building and evolving an effective design system
- Extremely organized and consistently advocates for design methodologies and processes
- Cares deeply about technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things
- Impeccable attention to detail
- An excellent communicator and influencer who can work well with various groups and levels of the organization
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality
- Humble spirit
- Has genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and a deep desire to improve their lives
Bonus points if you:
By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for tens of thousands of companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.