Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Want to help guide financial planning and strategic decision making for 0 to 1 initiatives at a Forbes Cloud 100 company? Then come join the leadership of the Finance & BizOps (FBOS) team at Gusto! At Gusto, we serve over 200,000 small business customers with our People Platform, which includes Payroll, Benefits, and HR offerings, affording customers peace of mind with these complicated tasks and helping them create great places to work.
The FBOS team provides strategic, operational and financial decision support at the corporate, departmental and product level. The team’s mission is to “define and defend the business model while accelerating Gusto’s growth.”
As part of the FBOS leadership team, you will lead a team that catalyzes longer term strategic initiatives which have the potential to alter the trajectory of Gusto. Reporting directly to the Head of Finance, you’ll be relied upon as the financial leader and a key thought partner to our Head of Emerging Segments and our Head of Engineering, Product and Design (both co-founders of Gusto) to determine strategy and resourcing across these initiatives, including how to leverage Gusto’s unique assets to scale them into viable, self-sustaining business units.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Design Business Models. Drive business strategy informed by business model research and financial analysis to enable Gusto leaders to make financially sound and strategically aligned decisions on how best to structure the business model of these nascent bets. Enable zero to one, the one to beyond performance.
- Build businesses, not just products. Determine optimal growth trajectory and funding for all emerging initiatives as businesses scale, including driving integration activities and operational maturity.
- Drive Planning & Forecasting. Through the team you empower, support the leadership of Gusto’s Emerging segments and core R&D teams through revenue, cost, and headcount planning & forecasting. Partner directly with our Head of Emerging Segments on how to allocate resources across and maximize collective growth potential across all emerging bets.
- Catalyze Performance. Drive the performance of each initiative by defining KPIs, setting aspirational targets, uncovering highest leverage business drivers, constructing reporting frameworks and business levers to drive with data-informed insights.
- Operate. A core philosophy of the FBOS team is that we are not here to merely forecast, i.e. try to predict an indeterminate future -- we are here to help make it happen. We roll up our sleeves as partners, work backwards to determine key actions that must be true to reach forecasted results, and pitch in with operators as needed.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Experience. You have at least 10 years of relevant work experience, including at high growth SaaS companies. Experience with both early stage and later stage, public companies is preferred. M&A integration experience is preferred.
- Trusted Judgment. You have a history of using data and judgment to influence decisions with senior company leaders.
- Management Excellence. You have a history of developing careers for your team members, with proven success of the people that you have hired. You have an ability to fly at different altitudes when the situation demands.
- Precision and Accuracy. You have sharp attention to detail with a natural feel for numbers and data, and have a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. You are able to tend to the blades of grass, while not losing sight of the broader landscape.
- Communication Skills. You can communicate effectively at various altitudes, including a history of communicating at Board levels. You create clarity out of chaos from team to Board.
- Discipline & Attitude. You have impressive time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks with multiple stakeholders while hitting deadlines on time sensitive projects. You are proactive and have a positive attitude with a can-do, service-oriented mentality. You are quick to pivot on changing needs and goals of the business.
Location. Flexible, remote acceptable.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $187,000 - $236,000/year in Denver & most remote locations, and $220,000 - $277,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate location, experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.