Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Symmetry Software, a Gusto company, is the payroll infrastructure for software & payroll platforms powering the paychecks of over 64 million workers each year. Our fully integrated suite of payroll tax APIs and software tools allows companies to solve tax compliance issues and build applications across the entirety of the payroll process. Symmetry Software is at the heart of the entire payroll industry, providing best-in-class software support stemming from our nearly four decades of experience seeing the most complicated tax and payroll scenarios across the country. Our relationships and partnerships enable us to provide not only the most powerful payroll technology, but also allow Symmetry Software to serve as a trusted expert and advisor to our clients for building their own products and increasing their payroll tax compliance.
About the role
The CEO of Symmetry is looking for a strategic partner. Help shape Symmetry Software’s future alongside the Symmetry leadership team and as a key “voice” of Symmetry to other stakeholders throughout the organization.
You will join a world class Insights & Operations team. We’ll count on you to dive deep to solve our hardest problems -- from diagnosing issues to devising recommendations to influencing and executing to get it done. You will also zoom out broadly, owning processes for strategic planning and decision making.
In this role, you will help scale and manage our growing Symmetry Software team by applying subject matter expertise and strategic thought leadership across Symmetry teams.
The ideal candidate for this role will understand the dynamics of creating a well-functioning strategy and operations function within a thriving, growing, and changing technology company. You’ll work alongside Symmetry leaders to develop strategy, manage operations, and deliver strong outcomes. You will facilitate and drive Symmetry’s ability to build a high performing, representative, and inclusive working team. You will balance strategy, operations, and special projects to help Symmetry achieve its vision of powering every paycheck.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Provide the CEO and broader Symmetry Software team with strategic thought partnership, advising our leaders throughout business planning and execution
- Translate mission to metrics: oversee strategic priorities, track objectives and key results (OKRs), help operate and optimize the budget
- Run operating cadence; analyze business performance, metrics, and strategic project outcomes to deliver insights and recommendations and influence decision making with the Symmetry leadership team.
- Manage strategic communications internally, with Gusto, and potentially with customers
- Evaluate tools, processes, and capabilities. Identify and build new capabilities to help us test new ways of operating.
- Deep dive into special projects: dig into root causes, and collaborate across teams to drive execution. Success means you’ll navigate the interplay of product/technical teams AND can speak to client-facing interactions.
- Foster a high-performance culture across Symmetry Software, ensuring team members are motivated and effective in their roles, and working with leaders and Recruiting to grow teams effectively with high standards
- Stellar program management: identify, develop, and manage programs for segment-wide initiatives, such as customer and revenue growth acceleration
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 7-10+ years of relevant work experience in analytical, operating roles at growing startups, product or biz ops roles, and/or consulting with business-problem solving experience
- Self-starter, servant leaders who deeply understand the art and science of program management and business operations, and can build from the ground up with an eye for scale
- Problem solver: first principles thinker who is comfortable creating structure out of ambiguity, synthesizing various inputs and perspectives, and driving recommendations or decisions. Able to quickly understand Symmetry business fundamentals.
- Strong communicator: the person who keeps all the trains on the tracks and the clear communication flowing, bringing both new and tenured Gusties along the journey
- Culture carrier: passionate about people empowerment, boosts team morale when things get tough, and recognized mentor and leader; understands influence without authority
- Relationship builder: you earn trust and confidence with people across all of Symmetry & Gusto, collaborating as effectively with engineers as you do with our CMO, influencing outcomes at all levels within the organization
- Experience with API-first companies and/or products is a plus.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $149,000-$184,000 for Scottsdale, AZ and most remote locations. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.