Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the Role:
The Mid-Market Sales Manager is a critical member of the Gusto Sales leadership team, driving our revenue growth and leading a strategic route-to-market. The Mid-Market Sales Manager will be based in Denver, CO (or travel there frequently) and will report to the Head of MM Sales.
The Mid-Market Sales Manager will create and implement a plan to achieve revenue results and will collaborate with leaders across Gusto, including Marketing, CX, Product, Engineering, and Finance to vocalize needs of our prospective customers and empower success for our Sales teams. The MM Manager will spearhead and role model behaviors that enable leading practices in the discipline, in service to Gusto’s strategy. This includes repeatable sales methodology, right-sized technology and tools, forward-thinking organizational design, compliance with industry regulation, compensation and sales targets, recruiting and hiring world class talent, and rewards and recognition to motivate sellers.
Here’s What You’ll Do Day-to Day:
- Foster a high performance culture that is well balanced with enhancing customer love that will continue to drive our net promoter score and high customer referral rate.
- Identify, recruit and onboard 4+ Sales Reps in your first year.
- Implement leadership development programs to engage existing sales managers and team leaders
- Builds a team, workplace, and culture centered on diverse representation, inclusion, social impact, and equity for all.
- Work with technology and data teams to improve the systems we use to drive rep productivity and accountability.
- Work with our marketers and data analysts to harness the power of data to drive and adapt go-to-market strategies and tactics that drive predictable and profitable growth.
Here’s What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of success in sales roles with experience in inside and channel sales in a multi-city environment.
- Ability to hire and train sales teams with a rolodex of A-players from various disciplines.
- Payroll, HR and Benefits experience is NOT required, but experience with faster sales cycle (1-4 months) is.
- Strong systems thinker who leads teams with a combination of situational leadership and process discipline.
- Experience with scaling high growth organizations, leading through change while inspiring teams to join you on the journey.
- Proven track record of success in revenue goal achievement.
Characteristics for Success:
- Highly motivated, with the drive to work collaboratively to plan and accomplish goals.
- Can manage and prioritize projects with deadlines while thriving in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Know how to build systems, not just run them.
- Must be driven, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.
- Intellectual curiosity and comfort making decisions when faced with uncertainty.
- However strong your sales team is, you are motivated to make it better.
- High Sales IQ: this leader will work collaboratively with sales managers as well as the product and marketing teams to help define, craft and refine our go to market positioning and strategy. We are looking for a strong people leader who can operate strategically at an executive level but can also roll up their sleeves and dig into the details to lead alongside his/her DRs.
- Open door policy: listens to Gustie concerns, problems, successes and observations about market conditions; supportive resource to both managers and sellers.
- Must instinctively know how to rally the troops around a common mission and create intense team unity, with the ability to inspire reps to charge the revenue hill month after month.
- The ideal candidate has undeniable drive, motivation and loyalty — and can ignite those attributes in others.
- Cross functional sales guru that can foster good communication and teamwork among the various organizational functions.
Small and Medium Business SaaS business acumen.
- Track record of sound business judgment with maturity, diplomacy, and strong communication skills
- Cares about everything from customer acquisition cost (CAC) and average contract value (ACV) to website conversion, NPS score, customer feedback, churn, and efficacy of internal processes.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $130,000 OTE - $160,000 OTE in Denver & most remote locations. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.