Gusto is looking for a Senior Product Designer who will take ownership of a large area of Gusto’s Payroll, HR, Accountants or Employees (we call them Members) product and be involved in the entire product development process – from early research and visioning to adjusting pixels to launching and iterating on experiences for our customers.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses and millions of employees nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy and our RISE Initiative.
About the Role
Gusto is first and foremost customer-driven. We take pride in making informed decisions based on customer research and data while balancing short and long term technical decisions. If you are a strategic customer advocate who enjoys complex problems and improving customer experiences, we’d love to hear from you!
Product Design at Gusto is made up of over 55 creative, collaborative, people who care deeply about our mission to empower small businesses and their employees. We’re a cross-functional bunch focused on design, research, and writing who are always looking for opportunities to build understanding and empathy for the people who use Gusto. We don’t care a whole lot about swim lanes and we work closely with our partners in product, engineering, data, and marketing. We are passionate advocates for thoughtful, crafted, and inclusive experiences and we believe great design can make hard things possible, even delightful.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Deeply understand and solve complex problems to give our customers peace of mind
- Design simple, easy-to-use flows and experiences that delight our customers
- Partner with PMs, engineers, and copywriters across the company to oversee user experience for products and features from conception to launch
- Develop deep empathy for our customers and translate both qualitative insights and quantitative data into creative ideas and informed design decisions
- Cultivate a creative design process that is built on inclusion and strong cross-functional collaboration
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product team
- Provide and seek feedback from other designers to always push the bar for quality
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of in-house product design experience
- Experience designing and shipping complex products informed in data and customer insights
- Ability to form clear hypotheses around design decisions and lay out a path to validate them
- Industry experience designing at every step of the development process, from brainstorming to post-launch research
- Generative and evaluative research experience
- Previous experience designing products that meet accessibility standards and compliance guidelines such as WCAG
- Experience mentoring less experienced designers and elevating craft quality
- Experience balancing long-term design goals with an Agile-based iterative approach
- Strong communication skills and enthusiasm for collaborating cross-functionally
- Ability to embrace ambiguous situations as opportunities to create clarity
- Passion for Gusto’s mission and the impact we can have on the world
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $120,000-$170,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $160,000-$200,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.