Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
The Payments Team at Gusto is responsible for processing billions of payroll dollars per year and makes payday possible for over 100,000 small businesses nationwide. As Head of Payments, you will be responsible for empowering the Payment Operations team as well as own the operating effectiveness and performance of Gusto’s payments infrastructure. We are looking for a seasoned leader to lead efforts to grow and scale our back-end operations and to develop and drive long-term strategies with Engineering & Product.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Provide industry knowledge, experience, and best practices to help the team stay ahead of the curve in keeping our payments engine and operations efficient and compliant.
- Empower a team of Payment Operations Analysts and Product Specialists. Lead and inspire them. Have a passion for a deep understanding of their day to day work and advocate for outcomes for the team.
- Develop the team’s vision and objectives. In line with Gusto’s mission, work with the team to design and execute on short- and long-term goals ensuring accountability through quarterly OKR processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in Engineering, Product, & Risk to build a roadmap to support Gusto’s product and features. Collaborate with Treasury to drive strategies with Partner Banks and deliver value to customers.
- Champion payments compliance efforts and support other audit & compliance initiatives across the organization (SOC1, MTL, financial statement audits, etc).
Here's what we're looking for:
- Leadership and Team-Building - You’ve grown and managed multi-tiered teams of 10+ members. Experience with outsourced teams or shared services centers preferred.
- Experience - You’ll have 10+ years of relevant experience, empowering operational teams and developing processes, ideally as part of a Payments organization in a FinTech or other Financial Institution.
- Global Payments Expertise - Deep industry knowledge of global payments processing and payments fraud.
- Operational Excellence - You are passionate about operational excellence and efficiency. You have an ability to spot unusual patterns and sharp attention to detail.
- Analytical - Excellent analytical skills, including ability to use business intelligence tools, and sort through complex data to articulate business trends and implications.
- Discipline - Excellent time-management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Is extremely process and policy oriented.
- Attitude - Goal-oriented, positive, and proactive. Comfortable in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment. Can communicate effectively with senior leaders.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $124,000 to $146,000 per year in Denver and $146,000 to $172,000 per year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.