Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Payments are at the core of Gusto’s business. The Payments Team ensures that the payments infrastructure at Gusto is operating efficiently and optimally.
The payments infrastructure is the end to end payment life cycle and payments data that feed into our products in the backend and are delivered by our cross-functional partners and us. We currently process +$20bn of payroll annually, and with your help, we can continue scaling accurately and sustainably.
We are a small, close, fun group that works hard and laughs a lot. No egos here — we collaborate and help each other out in a positive environment.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Become an expert in Payments. Develop a strong understanding of all aspects of a payment transaction, from architecture, execution, reconciliations, and error resolution.
- Be a payments hero. You will serve as an additional line of defense to catch and prevent payments errors.
- Solve puzzles. Resolve payment, accounting and tax issues by managing Gusto’s operational payment systems.
- Be a thought partner. Work directly with our FinTech product and engineering teams to implement new scalable processes and features.
- You’re the go-to Gustie. Cooperate with internal teams from across the company to expertly field, diagnose and resolve payment related questions.
- Work with our Business teams. Collaborate directly with our accounting team to support Gusto’s financial reporting and audits.
- Monay, monay, monay! Support Gusto cash reconciliations with any payment related exceptions.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Extreme willingness to learn. You will learn how our tax engine, payment flows and payroll processes work in conjunction with each other.
- Natural curiosity and attention to detail. If something seems off, you want to figure out what’s going on and, more importantly, why and how to solve it.
- Get-it-done attitude. Tenacity to drive a complex investigation of an issue to completion. You love to get deep into the weeds to find the answer.
- Self-starter mentality. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with the capacity to thrive under ambiguity.
- Flexibility. The willingness to adapt quickly to tackle various ad-hoc problems that might arise.
- Communication. The ability to explain payments issues in a simple, clear and concise manner. Trust us, it’s complicated.
- Background. 1-2 years experience of operations work.
Bonus points for:
- Deep understanding of the payments landscape.
- Experience working in a payroll, payments, or financial services company.
- Previous experience working in a fast-growing startup environment.
- Knowledge in SQL or a willingness/aptitude to learn.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $65,000-$74,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.