We’re looking for an experienced Finance & BizOps professional to be a key partner for the product and engineering org.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses build and take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR and team management tools. Today, our offices in Denver, San Francisco and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
About the Team
The FBOS (Finance & BizOps) team provides strategic, operational and financial decision support at the corporate, departmental, go-to-market program and product level. The team’s mission is to ‘define and defend the business model while accelerating Gusto’s growth.’
Your role will be to support the team’s partnership with the Engineering, Product & Design (EPD) org, as well as to serve as the primary coverage partner to one of Gusto’s product missions. On both fronts, you’ll be expected to dive directly into the data and form your own analytical perspective on strategic and operational decisions.
Here’s what you'll do day-to-day:
- Planning & Performance Management. Work with the EPD FBOS Lead, as well as senior leaders across EPD, to plan and measure how resources are deployed. Define and track KPIs to ensure resources are efficiently allocated and aligned in support of broader business objectives. Build and maintain financial plans and headcount targets that reflect EPD resourcing decisions.
- Product Investments. Help guide Gusto's product direction with research, business modeling and decision support on product expansion, strategic pricing, challenges faced by the product mission you cover and other high priority projects. This will involve synthesizing data from various sources, understanding how the business/product levers work, and sharing key takeaways to product leaders and other cross-functional partners.
- Execution. A core philosophy of the FBOS team is that we are not here to merely forecast, i.e. try to predict an indeterminate future -- we are here to help make it happen. We roll up our sleeves as partners and pitch in with operators as needed.
Here's what we're looking for:
- Experience. You have 6+ years of relevant work experience including 2+ years of operational finance & strategy work in SaaS, and a degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Finance, Business, Engineering, Mathematics, etc.).
- FP&A + Strategic Finance + BizOps. You can build and manage budgets. You’re adept at working with cross functional partners to help them understand how to manage headcount, deploy resources efficiently and iterate on program design for products. You provide valued input on the business implications of key decisions faced by product managers.
- Technical skills. You’re an Excel pro and can develop insightful financial models and quantitative analysis. You have impactful data visualization skills in Tableau or other BI tools. You can deep dive into large data sets with SQL to unblock your own analysis, and consistently apply strong critical thinking and sound business judgment.
- Precision. You have sharp attention to detail with a natural feel for numbers and data, and have a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. You are able to tend to the blades of grass, while not losing sight of the broader landscape.
- Interpersonal skills. You can eloquently distill and communicate complex topics broadly to board members, front-line team members and everyone in between. You are proactive and have a positive attitude with a can-do, service-provider mentality.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.