Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto. We are a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Gusto is a company that seeks to create a world where work empowers a better life. Founded to serve the millions of small businesses in the US, and the millions of employees that these businesses employ, we create a People Platform so that every company can create an environment where people can do their best and be their best.
Gusto’s People team is growing and scaling with the company! As our business scales and becomes more complex, and as we add hundreds of new Gusties each year, we need to ensure that our strategies for engagement with our employees are positive, engaging, values-driven and compliant.
The Head of Employee Engagement will work closely with the Head of People, People Staff, and executive members to help scale the People function and our People products and services. This person will be responsible for leading three major People functions: Diversity & Belonging, Employee Relations, and Compliance & Governance.
The Head of Employee Engagement will build and manage a team of thought leaders and experts to ensure that Gusto’s culture, People practices, and engagement strategies are robust and successful over time.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
Diversity & Belonging
- Work with the People team and Gusto leadership to design, develop and execute a multi-year, holistic Diversity + Belonging strategy
- Ensure strategy includes plans to improve representation, equity and inclusion across Gusto
- Work with Gusto leadership to set D&B goals and implement tracking and accountability mechanisms to ensure progress
- Design strategies to communicate D&B strategy, goals and progress both internally and externally
- Collaborate across People team to ensure that all People programs- sourcing, hiring, onboarding, development, progression and retention, as well as employee relations- utilize equity practices and a D&B lens
- Help educate and develop People team members and Gusties on the fundamentals of D&B work
- Provide program management and support for Gusto’s affinity groups
- Design, implement and manage the workforce accommodations process, in partnership with People Partners
- Design, implement and manage the performance improvement process (PICs, PIPs and terms), in partnership with Legal and People Partners
- Ensure that we have a strong process and playbook (including documentation) for conducting employee Investigations
- Advise on re-orgs and workforce actions to ensure fair and unbiased treatment of Gusties
- Work with Legal and People Partners to conduct and manage employee investigations
- Ensure strong operational mechanisms for escalation and reporting of incidents, issues and concerns
- Implement effective strategies for resolving conflict, repairing harm, and restoring justice in the workplace, including mediation and corrective conversations.
Compliance and Governance
- Ensure Gusto’s workplace operates within the standards of all applicable laws and employment regulations
- Ensure People policies and Code of Conduct are clearly documented and kept up-to-date through Gusto’s People Guide, evolving policies where necessary
- Lead the completion of all government required reporting, including EEO-1 reports
- Conduct risk assessments and analysis for all People processes + systems, and devise a plan to ensure we are taking risk appropriately and managing risk effectively.
- Ensure Gusto’s workplace is being run in accordance with our Values and principles; advise on strategies and tactics for improvement where required.
- Serve on our compliance committee, ensuring that we partner with Legal, Security and Finance to have strong controls, operational processes, and governance in place to run and scale our business
- Design and manage training programs for Gusto’s PEs and ICs, for sexual harassment, managing within the law, and other required compliance programs.
This role is a critical part of Gusto’s People leadership team. You will be in a key leadership position, helping to drive Gusto forward and scale, working across every level of the company, from the Board on down to our newest Gusties. Role, scope and span of influence will increase over time and there will be opportunity for growth, development and internal/external exposure. This is a key career development opportunity and will be a good springboard to bigger People leadership roles in the near future.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years as a People or operational leader in the tech industry
- Experienced People Leader
- Location: SF or DEN, with some willingness to travel as required
- Role model of Gusto values and People expectations
- Subject matter expertise and depth in Equity and representation practices
- Subject matter expertise and depth in Employee Relations practices
- Subject matter expertise and depth in People compliance and governance
- Industry thought leader
- Proficiency in communications, both verbal and written
- Excellent executive presence
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills
- Strong operational skills and attention to detail
- Analytical skills and the ability to tell a compelling story with data
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.