We believe Gusto’s reach can be much larger. We have an incredibly strong growth rate with flat marginal acquisition costs as we double investment in growth every year. But we’re still not leveraging the full complement of advanced analytics to ensure our growth is maximized not just for accelerating market share in the short term, but acquiring customer cohorts with strong potential LTV, deepening relationships with existing customers to drive higher LTV, and leveraging additional marketing channels and tactics that will enable strong brand development as a longer-term annuity to ensure continued growth rates.
We believe the value Gusto brings will extend to new areas. Our mission includes doing much more than simply dislodging existing service providers in the payroll industry. We are actively building and launching new products and strategies for the future that will serve both employers and employees in new ways that will require and enable invention of new data-driven distribution strategies over time.
About the job
We are looking for a gifted leader who thrives both in hands-on creation and building and elevating a team and practice. The role is not about reporting but about triggering the most effective action. The team is responsible for frequent forecasting that feeds our overall company monthly prioritization to quarterly budgetary planning, and all the way to multi-annual revenue planning. And understanding what drives growth is at the core of our ability to achieve our mission and have the impact we seek. You’ll run a small but mighty team and still contribute for the first couple years. You’ll have to build the team, and build them up (there is only one team member today). But you’ll be surrounded by adept complementary partners in performance marketing, data science, business intelligence, data engineering, and more.
You naturally prioritize impact over methodology yet you are always curious about new tactics. You will be a good teacher, both of your team, and across the company which is still early in the data and analytics maturity curve. You get excited about an environment that still has a ton of greenfield. You can relentlessly prioritize.
In addition to a track record of using diverse analytical strategies to change the trajectory of businesses, you’ll bring a deep passion for creating and working at companies that use rigor and art to out-smart the competition. You’ll be part of a strong internal guild at the center of creating data-driven greatness as a core competency at Gusto.
Your specific experience
- You’ve built and scaled analytics teams
- You’ve been a powerful analyst yourself
- You’ve also been responsible for strategic cross-functional and executive interfacing (C-suite, finance, sales, product)
- You have both private and public company experience, B2B and B2C
- You’ve had success (and learnings) from advanced marketing analytics including attribution modeling, media/channel mix and interaction regressions, marginal investment analyses, LTV-based analyses or products.
- You’ve been responsible for work all along the data lifecycle: instrumentation requirements, data definitions, decision analytics products and projects, corporate reporting dashboards
- 10+ years in analytics leadership with demonstrable successes
- Bonuses for depth in forecasting or retention analytics.
- Create and iterate analytic products for use by the Marketing team
- Provide standardized analytics tools and products that enable marketing team members to understand performance of campaigns and creative and make smart daily decisions
- Develop advanced marketing analytics projects and tools (media mix, attribution, experimental measurement, LTV scoring and reporting)
- Lead full funnel acquisition analytics
- Develop and iterate standard reporting that demonstrates opportunities and reports on optimization capabilities across marketing, sales, and growth engineering tactics
- Rise as resident company expert on drivers and opportunities for rapid growth testing from driving traffic, to lead generation, to conversion optimization, to user activation and engagement.
- Create and iterate on total company level reporting and analysis for up and out reporting of marketing campaign and portfolio performance, company growth investment scenarios and decision making, and revenue and budget planning
- Develop and deliver useful management reports for C-suite and senior management group
- Oversee full marketing forecasting (bi-weekly) and financial planning (monthly, quarterly, annually), building metrics plans with input from operators using programmatic techniques where possible
- Represent growth strategies in company revenue planning
- Partner on advancing data maturity at Gusto
- Key partner to business intelligence to define corporate metrics and measures, from lineage to extraction, counts and dupes, attribution, KPI definition, data dictionary, all the way through standardized spreadsheet reports, pivots, and dashboards
- Key partner to sales, finance, and business technology teams to integrate acquisition analytics across channels and along the funnel
- Partner with data science where they can support us as needed on growth modeling, funnel analytics, lead scoring, and advanced analytics
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.