Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, or Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly's hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków.
We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams rely on Grammarly’s AI-enabled communication assistance to help them communicate confidently and achieve their goals. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category for individuals, enterprises, and developers with tailored service offerings: Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, Grammarly for Education, and Grammarly for Developers. All of this begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our Cloud Infrastructure team as part of the wider Engineering Platform team. This role will be responsible for building world-class, secure, and reliable, cloud-native infrastructure solutions for Grammarly engineers that will scale with our user base.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Cloud Infrastructure Software Engineer, you will build a foundational framework that will allow our Engineering teams to run delightful applications in the cloud, with no need for in-depth infrastructure knowledge. This means you will need to create an abstraction over the infrastructure that is holistic and flexible, but also easy to use. There is no easy way to create standard solutions, so you will always need to balance simplicity and flexibility with security and speed, and make many other complex decisions.
In this role, you will:
- Use modern infrastructure management tools and services, such as AWS, to build a massively scalable platform for Grammarly’s services.
- Manage cloud-native infrastructure solutions, such as cross-service infrastructure and domains, container orchestration and deployments, auto-scaling tool sets, and service discovery.
- Build, set up, and continually improve cloud networking—and remain compliant with modern security standards.
- Build solutions and frameworks to spin up, test, deploy, and observe Grammarly’s services without much effort.
- Manage third-party systems used by Grammarly’s engineers.
- Participate in on-call incident response and escalation procedures.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Loves system administration, learns constantly, and can’t wait to let us know about the latest cool tool they’ve tried.
- Has at least 3 years of experience managing a live production environment, preferably a high-load system.
- Is knowledgable of AWS —or has deep expertise in Azure or GCP and is willing to learn AWS quickly.
- Knows Linux inside and out—or learn it quickly.
- Can deliver maintainable and high-quality code in Go or other languages.
- Can communicate well and collaborate effectively, empathetically, and proactively on a tightly integrated team.
- Can understand a problem, see the holistic picture, and break it down into single and manageable components.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing excellent health care (including mental health and fertility benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, caregiver and pet care stipends, wellness stipends, 401(k) matching (US only), admission discounts, learning and development opportunities, and more.
- For North America–based employment: Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, meaning pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our compensation packages include equity; a wide range of medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance options; retirement benefits; and parental leave. We offer twenty days of paid time off per year (global), eleven days of paid holidays per year (US and Canada), and unlimited sick days (global).
We encourage you to apply
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer, a participant in the US Federal E-Verify program (US), and abides by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following US states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania (Kennett Township, New London Township, Pittsburgh City, Shaler Township), South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Ontario
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.