Grammarly offers a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Teams will meet in person every quarter in one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Vancouver, New York, and Kyiv. To ensure that teams are able to overlap in their working hours and to meet face-to-face when needed, all team members need to live within three time zones of their direct team.
Please note our Kyiv hub is currently closed, but we hope the time comes soon when we can reunite with team members there. We continue to provide support to our Ukraine team members displaced within and outside of Ukraine.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Grammarly Editor Engineering team. The person in this role will lead a talented team of software engineers focused on developing Grammarly’s web and desktop-based editor application. Our text editor is the primary interface for users to put their ideas on the page and ensure they’re clear and engaging. The Grammarly Editor is a foundational part of Grammarly’s mission, and the team behind it is vital to helping our users communicate effectively wherever they write.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As Engineering Manager, you will:
- Empower the Engineering team to achieve a high level of reliability, simplicity, and productivity.
- Mentor engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Help drive engineering-wide initiatives with the rest of the engineering management team.
- Continue scaling a highly specialized Engineering team.
- Be an effective people manager and a strong advocate for the team.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has an innate desire to help engineers learn new skills and advance on their career path.
- Demonstrates a strong track record of building and leading productive engineering teams.
- Is deeply technical but derives satisfaction from helping the team accomplish audacious goals.
- Has the ability to systematically break ambiguous problems down and build an execution plan.
- Shows strong technical judgment on engineering architecture and product decisions.
- Will put the user first when reasoning about trade-offs.
- Leads by example and sets the right context for decisions.
- Is passionate about helping millions of users across the world communicate more effectively, every day.
- Cares deeply about the work but also about how that work is accomplished.
- Thrives in environments where you have to make decisions with incomplete information but can change course when presented with new data.
- Is curious and has a learning mindset.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Ukraine, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered at the Kyiv hub to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.