At Grammarly, we believe that everyone should be heard and understood. We know that clear and effective communication improves people’s lives—and we want to help everyone improve their communication. That’s why we’ve built an AI-powered writing assistant: to help people feel more confident in communicating clearly and effectively. So far, we’ve created a product used by more than 20 million people around the world every day. Join us to reach the next 100 million.
To get to that goal, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Machine Learning Software Engineering team in San Francisco. You will lead a talented team of engineers solving hard NLP challenges to power user-facing features at internet scale. Your mandate will span our consumer and enterprise roadmaps. You will also work cross-functionally with multiple teams across the company.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of reliability, simplicity, and productivity.
- Foster a metrics-driven engineering culture focused on impact and strong technical judgment.
- Mentor engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Help drive engineering-wide initiatives with the rest of the engineering management team.
- Continue to build the team with exceptional engineers.
- Bring engineering best practices to research projects and participate in projects at all stages.
The Machine Learning Software Engineering team works cross-functionally with research scientists, computational linguists, and engineers to ship delightful user experiences across various interfaces. This team is also responsible for parts of our data-processing and model-training pipelines along with building and maintaining natural language processing solutions in a production environment. The ML team works on our consumer-focused roadmap as well as our quickly expanding enterprise roadmap.
Grammarly exists because our engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs. These breakthroughs regularly influence the product roadmap and help chart the course for the future of our company. Today, our full-stack team is aggressively scaling our interfaces and distributed computing (Natural Language, Machine Learning) to support our 20 million+ daily active users. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing exponentially, and we’re excited about growing and diversifying our team. Read more from our research and engineering teams on our technical blog.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- An innate desire to help engineers learn new skills and advance in their career path.
- A strong track record of building and leading productive engineering teams.
- Experience being a hands-on senior engineer at some point in their career.
- Domain expertise in machine learning (expertise in computational linguistics or NLP is a plus.)
- The ability to execute with a fair level of autonomy.
- The analytical ability to systematically break down ambiguous problems and build an execution plan.
- Strong technical judgment on engineering architecture and product decisions.
- A willingness to put the user first when reasoning about trade-offs.
- The ability to lead by example and set the right context for decisions.
This is the right opportunity for you if:
- You embody our EAGER values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable).
- You are passionate about helping millions of users around the world communicate more effectively every day.
- You’re deeply technical and also derive satisfaction in helping your team accomplish audacious goals.
- You care deeply about the work and how that work is accomplished.
- You thrive in environments where you have to make decisions with incomplete information and can change course when presented with new data.
- You like working at multiple levels of the technical stack.
- You are curious and have a learning mindset.
It almost goes without saying that we’ll offer you:
- Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback.
- Project exposure and ownership that impact our world, users, product, colleagues, and business.
- Health care, communication coaching, and great coworkers!
Our commitment to diversity:
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly’s team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge. Grammarly participates in E-Verify.