This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the US east coast, UK, Sweden, Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands.
About the role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow and develop our Backend Platform squad. Our managers take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You’ll be responsible for managing a team of distributed engineers working across a variety of systems and helping them to perform at their best.
Backend Platform Squad is focused on ensuring the longevity of the Grafana project by adapting our API and storage engines for many autonomous teams. The Backend Platform team ensures that Grafana itself is observable, has the logging necessary to make any bugs shallow, and can efficiently run in installations serving tens of thousands of users. Backend Platform’s work is essential to Grafana as an Open Source project. They do a fair bit of issue triage for the community and work on setting internal standards and leading by example to ensure that everyone working on Grafana’s backend has a strong sense of support from the platform.
In general Backend Platform supports a number of people and teams by being the maintainers of the Grafana API and the database backends.
- The core focus of the role is on people management but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team/product.
- You will act as project manager as well as working with product owners to ensure the product roadmap is defined and up-to-date
- You have a strong technical background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed
- While you’re great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your teams face
- Ideally you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience and have worked as a Software Engineer before moving into Management
- Our backend is written in Go
- Familiarity with public Cloud would be a strong advantage
Your day-to-day will include:
- Regular 1:1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, happy and engaged
- Coaching and mentoring of your direct reports
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Ensuring features are well-defined and ready for development
- Advising your reports on how to break down features into tasks
- Collaborating with our Engineering Leaders to help define and influence product strategy, roadmaps and technical designs
- Maintaining headcount by working with our People Ops team to attract and hire talent
In the United States, the base compensation range for this role is $190,000 to $238,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity and other benefits listed here.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 1,000,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.