Description of Duties
Would you like to help create a meaningfully useful, modern SecOps product on top of the Grafana stack, available open source to any Grafana user? Would you like to be a founding member of the security operations function behind Grafana’s open source software stack and Grafana Cloud? Would you like to help grow a SecOps team from a beautiful acorn to a collaborative, transparent and highly capable 24x7 unit? Do you want to build great tools and experiences, then open source them to the community?
This is a 100% remote role reporting to the Security Operations lead. We don’t anticipate on-call requirements as we intend to hire a geographically dispersed SOC team to begin fleshing out an on-call rota.
We have a blogpost out covering the values behind the kind of team we’d like to build. Check it out here.
What will you be doing?
- Take an active role in influencing our roadmap and your own career objectives
- Work with your team to deliver new features, then use the results to iterate and improve.
- Drive projects from initial ideation all the way to operations once it is in the hands of customers
- Embrace our open-source culture and contribute to other projects that may not directly fall within your team’s scope
- Design, build, operate, and maintain critical systems, owning the reliability, performance, and availability
- Mentor and support other team members, participate in design discussions and collaborate with the team
- Learn new skills by gaining a deeper understanding of our cloud product and our customers and getting to know the codebase of a large distributed system
As we are remote-first and our engineering organization is largely remote, we provide guidance and meet regularly using video calls, so an independent attitude and good communication skills are a must.
What are we looking for in you?
- You are a motivated self starter with a bias towards action
- You are customer focused. We build everything with our users in mind. You have a passion for creating intuitive products that fit customers’ needs
- Pragmatism. You are able to take on complex challenges and break them down to achieve tight learning loops: to analyze, design, and build modular solutions, deliver MVPs, gather data and feedback and then progress iteratively
- Collaboration and communication: The smallest unit we have is a team. You’ll be working with your teammates in a fully remote setup. Good communication skills are a must
- Solid experience with at least one programming language. We use Go, but if you have familiarity with Python, C, C++, Rust or similar then that translates well
- Some experience with delivering projects from gathering requirements, brainstorming ideas all the way to shipping a product to the customer’s hands in a self-driven way
- Some experience with developing software that runs in the Cloud or some experience with systems engineering
- Experience writing clean, robust, and performant software that is easily maintained by others
Nice to haves:
- Interest in security
- Been a user of Grafana in operational roles (including on-call for your team at a previous employer or just using these tools on hobby/homelab projects)
- Exposure to microservices architecture and distributed systems, or a desire to learn
- Experience of fullstack development. We use React and Typescript on our frontend.