What is Grafana Cloud?
Grafana Cloud is our composable observability platform that integrates metrics, logs, and traces with Grafana. It allows our customers to leverage the best open source observability software – including Prometheus, Mimir, Loki, and Tempo – without the overhead of installing, maintaining and scaling their own observability stack
The Application Observability department is focused on enabling developers to understand the health and performance of their applications in any environment by providing tools to instrument their code, ingest observability data into Grafana Cloud and visualize and explore it.
As a company we are remote-first and global, we embrace people of different experiences and backgrounds to build diverse teams where every person brings a new perspective to the software. We are looking for Engineers that are passionate about communicating with data and providing seamless experiences for our customers to join our growing team! Engineers at Grafana also have the opportunity to contribute to Open Source communities.
What will you be doing?
- Work closely with customers in order to learn about real-life instrumentation issues with OpenTelemetry in enterprise applications, mostly in Java.
- Implement missing features in OpenTelemetry's instrumentation libraries, and contribute them to upstream OpenTelemetry instrumentation projects.
- Create content to help application developers instrument their applications with OpenTelemetry, such as blog posts and documentation pages. Bonus points if you'd like to deliver conference talks and produce content in other media, such as videos.
- As a Java engineer you will also help other teams with Java-related projects, like Grafana's jpprof profiler.
- Work across a wide range of deployment infrastructures, like Kubernetes, Lambdas, various cloud providers.
- Contribute to tools for rolling out instrumentation, like OpenTelemetry's Kubernetes operator.
As we are remote-first and our engineering organization is largely remote, we provide guidance and meet regularly using video calls, so an independent attitude and good communication skills are a must.
What are we looking for in you?
- You are a motivated self starter with a bias towards action.
- Curiosity: You enjoy digging into technologies before they become mainstream.
- You will work closely with customers, with the OpenTelemetry community, and with Grafana's R&D squads. Good communication skills are a must.
- You are customer focused. We build everything with our users in mind. You have a passion for creating intuitive products that fit customers’ needs.
- Pragmatism. You are able to take on complex challenges and break them down to achieve tight learning loops: to analyze, design, and build modular solutions, deliver MVPs, gather data and feedback and then progress iteratively.
- Solid experience with developing and operating Java enterprise applications.
- Experience as a user of an APM tool is nice to have.
- Experience with instrumenting an application with distributed tracing or metrics is nice to have.
In the United States, the Base (OTE for commission positions) compensation range for this role is $149,000 - $210,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable) and other benefits listed here.