Who are we and What do we do?
Glance – An InMobi Group Company:
Glance is an AI-first Screen Zero content discovery platform, and it’s scaled massively in the last few months to one of the largest platforms in India. The average mobile phone user unlocks her phone >150 times a day. Glance aims to be there, providing visually rich, easy to consume content to entertain and inform mobile users - one unlock at a time. Glance is live on more than 200 million mobile phones in India already, and we are only getting started on this journey! We are now into phase 2 of the Glance story - we are going global!
What’s the Glance family like?
Consistently featured among the “Great Places to Work” in India from last couple of years. Our culture is our true north, enabling us to think big, solve complex challenges and grow with new opportunities. Glanciers are passionate and driven, creative and fun-loving, take ownership and are results-focused. We invite you to free yourself, dream big and chase your passion.
What can we promise?
We offer an opportunity to have an immediate impact on the company and our products. The work that you shall do will be mission critical for Glance and will be critical for optimizing tech operations, working with highly capable and ambitious peer groups. Even in remote working environments, we ensure a high-quality work environment, while ensuring enough avenues of collaboration and connect with the rest of the team.
What you will be doing ?
Our Product team is organized into various verticals such as User Engagement & Growth, Creator experience, Gaming, Commerce, Monetization etc.
As a B2C product from India to the world, and in an attempt to create new mental models of consumption from your device, Glance is creating a unique user research function to link data backed insights with deep understanding of users, thus creating a powerful team in our attempt to re-imagine mobile consumption.
You are expected to be familiar with the entire product development lifecycle and the role research plays across the lifecycle – from up-front research to post release user research cycles to iterate the product. We are looking for a candidate having deep research skills, but can balance rigorous research with being MVP, and being able to take quick product and design calls, which help us move forward. You will over-see a team of user researchers, while also frequently overseeing specific user research carried out by our agency partners.
You will strategize research to bring products closer to user beyond that strengthen empathy for users amongst cross-function teams. You will establish mechanisms in place to bring cross functional stakeholders closer to user and have a deeper understanding of their needs on an ongoing basis.
You will contribute to user-centric culture by leveraging influence of Research from operational initiatives to a more strategic ones, educating your peers, work as an ambassador to communicate insights and building a strong rapport with other functional leaders.
You will be required to articulate the vision of this team to product, design, engineering, and general Glance leadership and be an advocate of research in product development. You will strategise research to bring products closer to user beyond that strengthen empathy for users amongst cross-function teams. You will establish mechanisms in place to bring cross functional stakeholders closer to user and have a deeper understanding of their needs on an ongoing basis.
In this role, you will report to the VP of Product and also work closely with the rest of the leadership team to help shape our overall product roadmap to serve the needs of 120 mn+ Daily Active users across the world.
- Team Mgmt: Ensure the right prioritization between urgent/important and short-term/long-term
- Expert User Researcher, skilled in the entire research practice from need finding to post release cycles.
- Ability to design, collect, and analyze significant amounts of behavioral data and effectively collaborate with the Product analytics team to be able to together stitch a meaningful insight
- Review, design, and help to implement research studies across the board
- Strategize, enable, Operationalize and support research practice at scale
- Shaping the research strategy, building a team, and elevating the overall quality and effectiveness of research practice
- Manage, coach, and inspire a team of researchers, by providing vision and direction
- Ability to recruit and build a high performing User research team
- Partner with Product, Data, Engineering, Marketing, and Design leaders to inform the decision-making process and make sure business and product strategies are guided by user insights.
- Discovering, synthesizing, and socializing actionable insights that have influenced real product decisions.
- Maintain and grow the quality of the user research practice in a fast-paced, complex, and ambiguous environment
- Be a key player of the design and product leadership team, ensuring the user research is at the root of product development
- An evangelist of research practices and user-centered design throughout the company.
- An influencer, with deep network and capital in the UXR community in India
- M. A / M. S or PH. D in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology, Digital Anthropology or a related field
- 8-10 yrs of professional research experience in any area of research (design research, market research and quantitative research) with atleast 5 years spent in a managerial role in user research function
- Experience in being able to prioritize between in house research vs 3rd party vendors
- Past track record of discovering, synthesizing and socializing insights that have created meaningful impact to end user value and metrics.
- Research experience across different methods, across qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Background implementing a variety of research methods in exploratory, generative and evaluative tracks (e. g. rapid ethnography, contextual inquiry, FGD, surveys, concept testing, usability validation etc.).
- Experience leading user research teams or handling research projects for B2C products at large scale is a plus.