FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for an extraordinary product and customer service experience, FreshBooks is based in Toronto, Canada, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands, and Croatia and serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Senior IT Specialist
The FreshBooks IT Team is responsible for the availability, integrity, confidentiality, and performance of the internal systems used by FreshBookers to provide outstanding support to our amazing customers, support the development and delivery of our leading SaaS accounting application, and enable the company to scale and grow. These systems include; collaboration and communication (voice, video, chat), email, identity and access management, networking, desktop, and mobile devices, as well as many SaaS services that cross a broad spectrum of uses.
As a Senior IT Specialist, we expect you to lead initiatives that improve the services we deliver to our internal customers, promote standardized methodologies and industry best practices, all while providing mentorship to other members of our global IT team.
What you believe:
- A team can produce more than any individual
- Customer Service is not a Department
- Complete is greater than done
- The basics aren’t boring
- Measure twice, cut once
- Security is not someone else’s responsibility
What you need to have:
- You’ve done this before – you’ve had at least five years of experience dealing with IT systems in a dynamic SaaS-based environment with an understanding of best practices and security principles
- A deep curiosity that motivates you to keep on top of technology trends and informs your ability to suggest tools and approaches to interesting problems.
- A passion for customer service and the ability to empathize with and communicate clearly to all parts of the business.
- A strong understanding of process and system flow mapping in complex systems, with an emphasis on data flow and system interdependence.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- System administration skills – deploying and supporting desktop and mobile devices within a centrally managed framework. Knowledge of the Apple ecosystem is preferable.
- Scripting & programming skills – shell (bash, sh) and at least one other relevant language (Python, Powershell, Terraform), with an emphasis on Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with IT Service Delivery methodologies.
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation providing after-hours support
We'd like you to have:
- An understanding of most of the technologies we use, including deep familiarity and experience with several of the following areas:
- Operating systems (macOS, Windows, Linux/*nix)
- Device Management (Mosyle, Intune)
- Code & Version Management (Git)
- Cloud Infrastructure (VMware, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services)
- Management & Monitoring
- Identity & Access Management (Okta, Active Directory)
- Collaboration & Communication (VoIP, Zoom, Avaya IP Office)
- Productivity & Workflow (Google Workspace, Microsoft 365, Confluence, Jira)
- Application Servers (nginx, Apache, MySQL)
- Networking & Security (TCP/IP, DNS, SSL/TLS, SSL/TLS, Public Key Infrastructure, Anti-malware, WiFi, Cisco)
- Experience with IT ticketing systems (eg. Jira, ServiceNow, ZenDesk, etc)
- A knack for finding the perfect answer to a problem you've never seen before
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.