FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Director, Web Technology
FreshBooks is looking for a Director, Web Technology to join the Marketing team. You will develop a team of web developers and project managers, responsible for all web development, capacity resourcing, maintenance, security and performance of FreshBooks.com.
You will be reporting to the VP of Marketing and will work closely to support projects for Marketing (Acquisition, SEO, Content, Lifecycle), Sales & Business Development, Support, PR and Growth teams. You will be process driven, with validated expertise running a corporate website and development team. You will be able to bridge the gap between technical, creative and business needs to confidently distill technical issues and provide digital solutions to senior leadership and partners.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensure proper planning and timely delivery of web projects, identifying risks and gaps, and providing appropriate solutions
- Help to develop business requirements and outline project plans of website enhancements and large-scale strategic initiatives
- Work closely with website creative team and developers to ensure proper resource planning, briefing, scoping and reporting
- Create and execute quarterly website development roadmap, balancing partner requests, corporate-wide strategic initiatives and infrastructure projects
- Plan and implement overflow support engagements with external partner agencies so that they are managed successfully by the project management team (e.g. SLAs and SOWs, code quality and budget allocations)
- Maintain accurate project monitoring, resource utilization, costing and partner reporting with project management team
- Monitor web traffic and overall site performance in order to identify and quickly address outages and security risks
- Build strong relationships and awareness with leaders across the organization to advocate for support on web-related projects and ensure technical implications for the website are considered
You will be accountable for:
- Create a strategic vision and roadmap for technology, infrastructure, security, and compliance for freshbooks.com
- Set the service standards, procedures and tools for operational and project management practices to ensure high quality service for our customers and internal partners
- Lead and maintain the implementation of operational efficiencies and continuous improvement in productivity, processes and communications
- Ensure proper quality assurance processes are adhered to ensure error-free code releases to production
- Establish clear and consistent reporting and communication methods for all project activity – specifically upwards to senior leaders and the Executive Management Team
- Mentor a growing group of project managers and full stack web developers
You will have:
- Minimum 7 years of operations/project experience in Digital Media/Web
- Minimum 3 years of management experience leading web teams (including developers, creatives and project managers)
- Demonstrated expertise in Project Management principles and processes
- Experience and knowledge with Agile practice is an asset, with the ability to translate principles to suit the needs of the web technology team
- Experience managing corporate website >500,000 unique visitors per month in the technology or SaaS space
- Experience creating and managing localized, country-specific versions of websites
- Experience with WordPress CMS, JIRA, Google Analytics and A/B web testing tools
- Knowledge of PHP is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategic priorities into tactical and technical requirements for teams to execute
- You can prioritize multiple projects and meet partner needs in a timely manner
- Bachelor's degree in technology, business, management, or related
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.