Chief Privacy Counsel
Legal | San Francisco, CA or London, UK Office
About the company:
ForgeRock® rocks when others are rolling. We aren’t your typical high-tech company and aren’t looking for typical people. We look for real people. Whoever you are. Whatever you are. While you play well with others you aren’t afraid to be you and let others be themselves. Someone has called you wicked smart before, but you would never refer to yourself that way.
ForgeRock pioneered open source identity and access management, went on to invent identity relationship management for customer identities, and is now busy playing with the identity of things. Yes, we’re growing fast, but we remain true to our start up culture. We’re decidedly creative, we’re always learning, no one hesitates to ask questions, and we’re on a never-ending search for new ideas.
Our customers are some of the biggest companies, organizations, and even countries in the world. On any given day, it’s likely that the ForgeRock Identity Platform helped keep your data safe, gave you access to stuff, and supported trusted relationships between you, companies and the devices you were using. Please read more about us at forgerock.com or follow ForgeRock on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/forgerock.
This critical, San Francisco or London-based role (Bristol, UK also considered) will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer and work closely with the ForgeRock executive team and other stake-holders (including the Privacy and Security Board) to advise upon, drive, and implement all facets of the company’s global privacy framework, creating industry leading practices in global privacy strategy and compliance. The successful candidate must have extensive experience with privacy and privacy compliance matters, including development and cross-functional implementation of worldwide privacy policies and compliance programs, preferably in a regulated industry.
- Driving privacy and compliance awareness throughout the company in a collaborative and understandable manner.
- Working closely with the Security team (and advising that team of technical requirements), creating, deploying and maintaining customer-facing, industry-leading privacy policies, procedures and practices for internal and external audiences.
- Working with government authorities globally to ensure compliance to data privacy legislation, regulations and standards, including GDPR, DPA 2018, FCA Sysc8 and equivalent, ISO 27000 family, and others.
- Work closely with the Security, Engineering, Product, Design, and Marketing teams to assess potential privacy and security risks and regulatory requirements for ForgeRock’s products and technologies.
- Privacy and regulatory compliance guidance for global marketing, R&D, software, operations, and enterprise sales.
- Review/draft a variety of agreements, including vendor and customer agreements and ensuring compliance with privacy-related contract terms.
- Developing and conducting internal educational and compliance programs.
- Auditing and administering compliance program reviews.
- Act in the role of a Privacy Officer for the company’s entities if required.
- Work in a matrixed environment within the legal team to assist on ad hoc projects with a willingness to assist members in other departments.
- Assist in other areas of compliance that impinge upon privacy, such as HR, Marketing, telecommunications etc.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong business acumen and practical approach to problem solving is required.
- Leadership and expert communication skills to influence, advocate for and drive change and compliance across a global company.
- At least 6 to 10 years of experience focused on privacy and compliance, preferably in house.
- PaaS, SaaS and Software privacy compliance experience.
- Strong and practical understanding of GDPR and International privacy / regulatory frameworks and requirements (an understanding of privacy-related technical and organizational measures that are standard in regulated industries (e.g., banking, telco, fintech) is very desirable).
- Team first mentality and ability to remain relaxed in every environment.
- Strong Law degree preferred.
- CIPP certifications preferred.
- Possess requisite cross-functional, technical and systems understanding to communicate requirements to both IT and non-technical resources.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess great attention to detail and impeccable accountability.
- Must be able to work on their own initiative.
- Some travel is required in the role, including across EMEA, US and APAC regions.
Life at ForgeRock:
We believe in and facilitate a flexible, collaborative work environment. We’ve grown enormously, but remain true to the innovative, can-do startup values that got us here. Most important of all, we keep hiring talented, smart, fun, and genuinely nice people because that’s who we want to succeed with every day. Below are just a few of the great things we have to offer at ForgeRock:
- A great team of smart, fun and genuinely nice individuals.
- Awesome company culture focused around providing a flexible and collaborative work environment
- Regular office bonding events, from lunches and happy hours to group offsites and hack-days
- Well-stocked fridges, whether you’re hungry or thirsty
- Competitive benefits and perks
- We’re Mac-friendly!
- Generous employee referral bonus program
- Amazing offices across the globe – San Francisco HQ; Vancouver, WA; Austin, TX; Munich, Germany; London & Bristol, UK; Grenoble & Paris, FR; Oslo, NO; Singapore, Australia & counting
ForgeRock is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.