Finance & Accounting | US - San Francisco Office
About the company:
ForgeRock® rocks when others are rolling. We aren’t your typical high-tech company and aren’t looking for typical people. We look for real people. Whoever you are. Whatever you are. While you play well with others you aren’t afraid to be you and let others be themselves. Someone has called you wicked smart before, but you would never refer to yourself that way.
ForgeRock pioneered open source identity and access management, went on to invent identity relationship management for customer identities, and is now busy playing with the identity of things. Yes, we’re growing fast, but we remain true to our start up culture. We’re decidedly creative, we’re always learning, no one hesitates to ask questions, and we’re on a never-ending search for new ideas.
Our customers are some of the biggest companies, organizations, and even countries in the world. On any given day, it’s likely that the ForgeRock Identity Platform helped keep your data safe, gave you access to stuff, and supported trusted relationships between you, companies and the devices you were using. Please read more about us at forgerock.com or follow ForgeRock on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/forgerock.
The VP Controller will help implement financial processes and systems as ForgeRock continues to expand geographically and across new markets. The VP Controller will have experience in developing and managing the build-out of financial controls and implementing systems necessary for a fast-moving leading venture-backed software company. This person will have a continuous-improvement focus and seek ways to support the transformation of the accounting organization from a reporter of accurate and timely historical data to a trusted and sought-after partner - able to provide business insights on a cross-functional, strategic and operational basis. With offices in San Francisco, Vancouver, Austin, London, Bristol, Paris, Grenoble, Singapore, Sydney and Oslo as well as remote employees throughout the globe, the VP Controller must have experience managing international accounting operations, overseeing various payroll systems and processes, developing tax efficient international structures and ensuring compliance with all necessary laws.
People Management & Collaboration
- Manage a worldwide team
- Serve as the company’s expert on accounting matters, partnering with other departments (Legal, Sales, IT, and HR) on structuring policies, and advising with respect to accounting and tax implications
- Encourage an effective, deeply motivated and collaborative team, focusing on the continuous development and growth of the capabilities and performance of team members
- Develop departmental goals, policies and operating procedures
- Manage the preparation and review of the company’s unaudited and audited financial statements including those for international operations
- Fulfill all US GAAP and IFRS reporting standards
- Oversee various other internal and external reporting requirements such as statutory filings in foreign jurisdictions and investor reporting; develop processes and business partner relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners that will improve the flow of financial information within and about the Company
- Coordinate and prepare monthly board package for presentation to the Board
- Oversee Worldwide audits
- Manage operational, general ledger, and general accounting departments
- Evaluate all significant accounting transactions, research, and implementation of relevant technical accounting memos
- Manage all revenue recognition; including policy development, contract review, and calculations
- Develop integrated and scalable financial systems
- Oversee the activities of accounts payable operations
- Oversee the activities of the Company’s billings and accounts receivable operations
- Develop cross-functional processes and/or structures that improve the efficiency of the finance organization
- Manage stock compensation expense. Additionally, must understand private company equity including 409A valuations, warrants, and private company financing arrangements (debt and equity)
- Oversee the Sales Compensation team, including the production of all sales compensation plans and the monthly calculation of sales compensation.
- Oversee cash management and day-to-day commercial banking relationships
- Manage Global Tax Director and external tax resource
- Handle all corporate income, property, sales and use tax
- Create tax efficient international corporate structures and business best practices, including setting up new international entities
Internal Controls and Risk Management
- Establish, implement, and oversee appropriate internal controls and policies to ensure conformance and compliance with US GAAP and other statutory requirements
- Develop the Company’s internal audit function
- Oversee risk management and insurance
- Develop a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk
- Manage existing EY audit relationship
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- 15+ years of related experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and seniority with the majority of this experience in the software industry
- 5 years public company accounting experience as the VP Controller
- 7 years as a Controller
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting with a strong academics background
- CPA required
- IPO preparation
- As the VP Controller of a public company of at least $100M in annual revenues
- Experience supporting an IPO as the VP Controller
- Demonstrated knowledge of finance, accounting and control principles including US GAAP
- Detailed understanding of SEC reporting requirements
- Demonstrated success in consistently producing timely and accurate financial reporting
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors
- Building and leading a world-class accounting function and infrastructure in a highly entrepreneurial, rapidly growing environment
- Experience with both large and small/mid-size company experience with a track record of driving positive results in hands-on environments
- Experience presenting to an audit committee or Board of Directors
- Ability to handle a sophisticated line of questioning with a well-reasoned point of view
- Diplomatically handles conflict and encourages constructive confrontation and feedback
- Interested in mentoring and developing talent
- Detail oriented and fact-based communicator
- Resilient and agile leader in an environment of rapid growth and execution, tight deadlines and highly analytical and diverse management team.
- Exceptionally strong judgment, integrity and social awareness of different cultures and languages
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to explain complex financial issues or concepts to non-financial audience.
- Team player
Life at ForgeRock:
We believe in and facilitate a flexible, collaborative work environment. We’ve grown enormously, but remain true to the innovative, can-do startup values that got us here. Most important of all, we keep hiring talented, smart, fun, and genuinely nice people because that’s who we want to succeed with every day. Below are just a few of the great things we have to offer at ForgeRock:
- A great team of smart, fun and genuinely nice individuals.
- Awesome company culture focused around providing a flexible and collaborative work environment
- Regular office bonding events, from lunches and happy hours to group offsites and hack-days
- Well-stocked fridges, whether you’re hungry or thirsty
- Competitive benefits and perks
- We’re Mac-friendly!
- Generous employee referral bonus program
- Amazing offices across the globe – San Francisco HQ; Vancouver, WA; Austin, TX; Munich, Germany; London & Bristol, UK; Grenoble & Paris, FR; Oslo, NO; Singapore, Australia & counting!
ForgeRock is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.