Expa is startup studio, a company that creates new companies. We want to assemble the world’s best entrepreneurs to bring ideas to life by creating conditions for them to thrive. We partner with founders to create new products and services, and build teams to scale them as independent companies. We focus on just a few products at at time, creating new businesses that will improve people’s lives.
After 10 years designing and building consumer services, the Expa team has identified many techniques that help create successful companies. We help companies avoid common pitfalls in early-stage ventures, and actively remove roadblocks along the way.
We are headquartered in the SOMA district of San Francisco and have an office in SOHO NYC. Both offices are absolutely stunning, with fun atmospheres and amazing, brilliant people. We have fully-stocked healthy kitchens and are located within the easy public transportation networks in both locations.
About the role
Expa is looking for a Senior Accountant to assist our finance team in providing stellar accounting and finance support to Expa and it’s portfolio companies.
You will be an integral part of the accounting and finance function of Expa itself, and you will also provide support to our portfolio companies. You will play a key role in ensuring the timely and accurate setup of our companies and making sure that company leads receive the accounting and finance support they need. You will partner closely with the core Expa Operations team as well as the leads for the individual portfolio companies.
- Be the point person for expense processing and tracking (through Bill.com and Expensify)
- Perform timely reconciliations (credit card, cap assets, intercompany transactions etc.)
- Assist with monthly close
- Assist with BVA preparation by capturing actuals in a timely manner
- Own the regulatory filing calendar and assist with processing of regulatory filings for new and existing entities.
- Assist with the set-up of portfolio companies
- Act as liaison to outside accounting firm; on-board/direct/oversee outside accounting firm to ensure smooth workflow and timely and accurate processing of transactions in accordance with GAAP and internal controls (for Expa and a number of portfolio companies)
- Interface with portfolio companies for financial and accounting related matters
- Ensure document libraries are current and complete
- Carry out numerous routine and ad hoc accounting and finance support functions
- Proactively identify areas for process improvement and effectively implement them
- Help develop best practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA a plus.
- 3+ years experience in a hands-on accounting role, preferably in a startup company, or any equivalent combination of education/training and experience that would allow the candidate to demonstrate the task maturity (knowledge, skill & experience) to be successful in this position
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, Expensify and Bill.com
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail and good analytical/problem-solving skills
- Self motivated and resourceful, with proven ability to seamlessly move from one task to another, effectively, in a fast-paced, ever changing environment
- Demonstrate professional business acumen such as strict discretion in keeping confidential company information completely confidential with express approval only
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team setting
- Unflinching commitment to honesty and integrity
- POSITIVE ENERGY!