At Expa we’re dedicated to being the best place for entrepreneurs to create and build companies. Expa was founded in 2013 by Uber co-founder Garrett Camp to help bring great ideas to life. We’re builders, founders, and operators ourselves, who know the struggles that come with starting a new company, and what it takes to succeed. We support entrepreneurs with more than just funding — we offer a valuable network, office space, and our advice and expertise. Expa Studio combines technical and design expertise, operational support, and capital to turn bold ideas into category-defining companies.
You will be a full-stack engineer at a new studio company tasked with solving the many challenges and puzzles of our rapidly evolving technical stack. We’re looking for a full-stack engineer who is ready to work with new technologies and architectures in a forward-thinking organization. This person will have complete, end-to-end ownership of projects. The ideal candidate has experience building products across the stack and a firm understanding of web frameworks, APIs, databases, and multiple back-end languages. The full-stack engineer will join a small team that uses new technology to solve challenges for both the front-end and back-end architecture, ultimately delivering amazing experiences for our customers. As an early team member you will make a significant contribution to both the product & company.
The ideal candidate will build highly scalable distributed solutions that enable positive user experiences and measurable business growth. They will also develop new features and infrastructure in support of rapidly emerging business and project requirements. As an integral member of the team, they will assume leadership of new projects, from conceptualization to deployment, while ensuring application performance, uptime, and scale, and maintain high standards for code quality and application design. They will work with agile development methodologies, adhering to best practices and pursuing continued learning opportunities.
The ideal candidate will have a high confidence that whatever they don’t know they will figure out and figure out quickly. There will be great collaboration with senior product and business minds, but there will be no hand holding on engineering work.
- Thrive in a 0-1 startup environment
- Be able to build new products quickly as a sole contributor
- Own both front end and back end responsibilities
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development, including design, implementation, and deployment
- Architect and provide guidance on building end-to-end systems optimized for speed and scale
- Engage with inspiring designers and front-end engineers, and collaborate with leading back-end engineers to create reliable APIs
- Collaborate via Slack, GitHub comments, and shared documents
- Bachelor’s (or above) in computer science, information technology, or engineering
- Interest in learning new tools, languages, workflows, and philosophies
- At least 4 years of experience in building large-scale software applications
- Experience in building web applications
- Working knowledge, understanding and enthusiasm to work with AI platforms like OpenAI Whisper to help advance customer needs
- Familiar with AWS, S3, Twilio
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
- Experience in unit/integration testing
- Professional certification
This will be a full-time position with a salary range of $150,000 - $200,000, which is determined by various factors, including, but not limited to, work experience, skills, location, depth and maturity of our project. We're a small team and we want to try and spend as much time iterating during these early days of the idea. Because of this, the expectation for the Full-Stack Engineer position is that you will come into the West Hollywood office daily (M-F).