DeVries is a mid-sized, culture-first communications agency that combines the fast-moving, client-centric culture of a boutique with a global footprint across three regions: North America, Europe and Asia. With our HQ in New York City, our locations include Beijing, Berlin, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, London, Shanghai, Singapore and Taipei. We are dedicated to decoding culture to unlock sustained, meaningful influence for brands.
We recognize that when curiosity drives, creativity thrives. What's more, we've ditched the standard agency protocols, hierarchies and billing structures in favor of living in our clients' worlds, so that we can bring them blue-sky thinking and big-time results. We are part of Interpublic Group of Companies with offices in New York and Los Angeles, and a global footprint across Europe and Asia.
We are looking for a VP to lead our earned media team. The VP, Media Relations is accountable for partnering with brand team leaders to develop strategic and exciting programs that secure world-class media coverage for our clients. This role will also support the agency in helping to evolve the media relations offerings to keep DVG on the cutting edge of the ever-changing media landscape.
-Provide strategic media counsel from onset of program development through execution to Optimize plan and maximize results
- Participate in relevant brainstorms, offering media relations POV
- Serve as client-facing media expert as needed
- Provide pitching tips/advice via regular connects during execution phase
- Review media alerts/pitch letters/media lists
- Review spokesperson contracts during negotiations to maximize media opportunities
- Own and secure top-tier short-lead media coverage (e.g., national broadcast, business press)
- Long-lead media ownership and outreach generally maintained by individual teams
- Develop strong relationships on behalf of DVG with top-tier media and high-profile influencers (long-lead and short-lead)
- Attend media-focused events/seminars and share key insights with agency
- Take an “always on” approach to media relations
- Conduct daily monitoring of top-tier short-lead media outlets to strengthen counsel and identify opportunistic coverage angles
- Coach junior staffers on how media works and pitching best practices to empower teams (potentially via regular “courses” throughout year)
-Share best-in-class/worst-in-class media placements/practices
- 8+ years of relevant experience in a media relations role or with a media relations focus
-Outstanding communications skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
- Keen awareness of, and interest in, developments in the healthcare, pharmaceutical, and wellness sectors
-Strong understanding of and experience in the relationship between traditional public relations and the use of current online/digital technology and social media
- Solid relationships and working knowledge of key online/offline media influencers/journalists
- Media training of doctors and spokespeople
- Have the ability to create a story with no celebrity and no news hook
DeVries is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. DeVries recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Therefore, if hired, candidates must present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodations
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.