Senior Director of Academics
The mission of our schools is to educate responsible citizen scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship. Core to achieving this mission is building high-quality relationships with families and supporting enrollment at our schools.
About the Opportunity
The Director of Curriculum and Instruction will play a vital role in ensuring the quality and alignment of Freedom Prep’s internal curricular program. This person will work with members of the Academic Team, School Leaders, and classroom teachers to ensure that curriculum is appropriately aligned to the demands of state exams. This position will provide teacher coaching, professional development, and will work with teachers and staff members to modify curricular resources as needed. This person will be an expert on the Common Core, state exams, and instructional methods.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- A passionate educator with experience in curriculum design and the Common Core.
- Someone with strong classroom teaching and instructional leadership experience.
- You have superior attention to detail and excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Comfortable providing academic feedback and support across content areas
- Fluent with all parts of academic pedagogy, including standards, assessments, lesson design and execution
- Quickly builds relationships and work collaboratively with different stakeholders, including school leaders, teachers and teammates
- Able to analyze data and identify levers to improve classroom instruction
- Honest, direct, and able to keep scholar learning at the forefront of your work
- Prioritizes between and manage multiple workstreams
- A constant learner who wants to continually grow in their understanding of academic pedagogy, standards and instruction
What You’ll Do
- Meet regularly with school leaders, coaches and teachers to identify and enact instructional priorities at each of your partner schools.
- Collaborate with teachers, school leaders, and members of the Curriculum Team to make adjustments to curricular resources to meet these demands.
- Conduct consistent, high-quality classroom observations, including vetting lesson plans, collecting concrete classroom data, and identifying strengths and key levers for observed teachers. Identify trends across classrooms and bring them to school leaders and the Academic team.
- Use data to identify areas that need support at each of your schools, as well as effective practices that should be shared and implemented across the network. Create and enact plans to address the areas that need remediation.
- Support schools in growing their academic and pedagogical expertise through a variety of means including professional development, lesson study groups, co-observations with school leaders, and directly supporting individual teachers.
- Collaborate with the rest of the Academic team to enhance the entire team's knowledge of best practices in terms of instruction for each content area. Share expertise with the team at large about your content area expertise by leading professional development, assessing external materials, and sharing best practices from outside the network.
- Create and revise high quality, timely, and error free exams, units and lesson materials. Ensure that curricula are clear, well organized, and easily implementable by school partners.
- Research and provide nuanced information on state exams and requirements.
- Work with school leaders to plan targeted professional development for teachers.
- Support in the adjustment of Freedom Prep internal exams to align to state requirements.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- NJ-state Teacher Certification
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in education or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years as a school-based or systems-level leader with a proven track record of student achievement results
- Minimum of two years supervisory/managerial experience.
- Experience developing and leading professional development
- Experience analyzing data and using results to increase student mastery
- Advances equity and academic excellence for all students to include students with disabilities
- Knows, effective instruction, strategic planning, and developing a professional community of learners
Freedom Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Freedom Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.