About the Opportunity
The Director of External Affairs will work with the VP of External Affairs and be responsible for managing the execution of Democracy Prep’s overall External Affairs strategy which includes its vision for branding, communications and student recruitment, enrollment, and retention strategies and for executing the vision for how Democracy Prep engages with local communities, and for overseeing our This Director will work closely with various internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to: board members, regional Executive Directors, and school-based operations teams to help us meet our external affairs goals. The Director of External Affairs will report to the VP of External Affairs.
Who You Are
- An educator with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for all scholars, especially those with significant challenges.
- A self-reflective and self-aware leader who is dedicated to and supports Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A self-starter who is creative and entrepreneurial with 5 or more years of experience working in community engagement and who has experience leading and developing geographically dispersed teams.
- A strong relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills, a proven ability to work collaboratively across teams, and an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally.
- An excellent writer and skilled orator who can take information from many sources, distill it to core messages, and effectively tailor that communication to multiple stakeholders in a variety of situations.
- A professional who understands how to build systems and structures, who adapts to rapidly changing environments, and who is excited to learn about the dynamics of different regions.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), Master's degree in related field (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Coach a team of external affairs managers and associates with the goal of telling Democracy Prep’s story to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Coach and develop the current enrollment team and work closely with school-based teammates who manage student recruitment in their regions. Meet regularly with network and school-based teams to ensure they have the support needed to meet enrollment goals.
- Assist in and lead in aspects of the design, develop, refine, and execute the enrollment strategy across the network to ensure that schools can meet their enrollment goals by the first day of classes.
- Conduct data analysis for enrollment across Democracy Prep regions. Prepare and provide progress reports on enrollment across the network as well as strategies to overcome enrollment obstacles.
- Oversee vendor relationships to ensure that the external affairs team has the necessary marketing materials and digital resources to communicate with families, the community, and other stakeholders.
- Develop and strengthen community relationships and partnerships by taking part in community board meetings, meeting with elected officials, and other community-based organizations.
- Work in conjunction with our current External Affairs team on robust social media and digital marketing campaigns to engage the communities in which Democracy Prep operates and to make sure that the external image of Democracy Prep aligns with the direction that Democracy Prep is moving in with regards to the network-wide strategic plan.
- Develop and implement a robust family engagement strategy for all regionals in alignment with the DPPS Five Year Strategic Plan.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Democracy Prep Public Schools is requiring vaccination against COVID-19 for all NY employees. All new hires joining a Democracy Prep New York Charter School must have at minimum the first dose of the vaccine and a scheduled appointment for a second appointment (for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines) in order to start employment at Democracy Prep. Proof of both must be submitted before the new hire begins employment.