About the Opportunity
Democracy Prep Public Schools seeks an Assistant Director of Scholar Support who will work alongside the Director of Scholar Support to provide network guidance to school-based scholar support teams in the development of a positive and productive school culture. The Assistant Director of Scholar Support will help ensure that Democracy Prep schools are able to implement our shared vision of Purpose Over Power, an initiative that is vital to the success of Democracy Prep’s strategic plan, and will ensure that our Scholar Support Teams are able to support our scholars in their social-emotional needs.
Priority will be given to applications submitted by May 31, 2021.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for all scholars, especially those with significant challenges.
- A self-reflective and self-aware leader who is dedicated to and supports Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A strong relationship builder with a proven ability to work collaboratively across teams and an ability to manage up and sideways to provide guidance and feedback for network and school leaders.
- A professional who values diverse perspectives and is committed to advocating for the needs of scholars, to empowering young people, and to lifting up and working alongside communities.
- An experienced coach with demonstrated success in building and developing the capacity in others.
- An excellent writer and skilled orator who can easily connect with scholars, families, staff, and community members and effectively tailor communication to multiple stakeholder groups in a variety of situations.
- A strong communicator who understands tiered behavior systems and who can create and lead professional development around school culture and classroom management to various stakeholders.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), Master's degree in related field (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Coach and develop school-based scholar support team members, including Behavior Support Specialists, Scholar Support Specialists, and Deans of Culture, through live-coaching, observations, and professional development sessions. Provide guidance to scholar support team meetings.
- Support the implementation of restorative practices across the network and facilitate or co-facilitate professional development with school leaders as needed for individual campuses.
- Conduct walkthroughs at schools to provide support and feedback on initiatives related to Democracy Prep’s Purpose Over Power priority.
- Analyze and audit school culture data on a monthly basis or as requested to determine the level of support to provide to individual schools across the network. Develop strategies and systems of support based on individual school needs based on data.
- Partner with the special education team to review, discuss, and analyze data for scholars with IEPs and collaborate on interventions where necessary.
- Check in with school leaders to debrief on school culture, coaching, and/ or staff implementation of effective classroom management strategies.
- Develop, support, and provide professional development scope and sequence in partnership with the Director of Scholar Support for scholar support teams. Facilitate campus professional development for school staff and provide sessions for school leadership as needed.
- Support the development of behavior intervention plans for individual scholars in partnership with school-based scholar support teams as requested.
- Respond to requests for support from the Office of the Superintendent and school leaders to support with high-need behavioral incidents, high-need campus cultural resets, challenging suspension determinations, etc. as needed.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.