About the Opportunity
The Director of Development will build a solid infrastructure for the overall fundraising program for Democracy Prep Public Schools and each of our regions and will be responsible for the implementation and oversight of the program. This Director will work closely with various internal and external Democracy Prep stakeholders including but not limited to: board members, the Office of the CEO, and regional Executive Directors to build relationships and cultivate and solicit gifts. Reporting directly to the Vice President of External Affairs, this is an ideal opportunity for a high-motivated, proven, and values-driven nonprofit fundraiser.
This role is based in New York City. Priority will be given to applications submitted by May 31, 2021.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for all scholars, especially those with significant challenges.
- A self-reflective and self-aware leader who is dedicated to and supports Democracy Prep's commitment to antiracism and who is eager to further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A self-starter who is creative and entrepreneurial with 5-10 years of experience and a track record of success in soliciting major gift-level support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. Experience at an educational institution preferred.
- A strong relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills, a proven ability to work collaboratively across teams, and an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally.
- An excellent writer and skilled orator who can take information from many sources, distill it to core messages, and effectively tailor that communication to multiple stakeholders in a variety of situations.
- A professional with a deep understanding of fundraising programs and strategies who can navigate complex institutions to make the best match for donor interests, who adapts to rapidly changing environments, and who is excited to learn about the dynamics of different regions.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program (required), Master's degree in related field (preferred).
What You’ll Do
- Create and lead the strategy for a portfolio of annual, major, and principal gift prospects. Develop and manage a portfolio of 50+ high figure prospects and develop customized cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each.
- Build relationships with Executive Directors to support their fundraising efforts and meet the goals for their respective regions. Provide assistance as needed with local grant applicants.
- Develop board fundraising activation plan to engage board members in fundraising. Form and maintain strong partnerships with select board members and members of board development committees to support their fundraising efforts in our regions.
- Work to implement and utilize a donor platform to track and evaluate key metrics and use meaningful data to continually improve practices and inform decisions to ensure operating effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the Chief Executive Officer and the Vice President of External Affairs on the management of high-capacity donors, including support for meeting preparation and follow-up with these key donors.
- Build and manage relationships with prospects and donors through visits, regular communication. Identify new prospects and design and execute donor engagement opportunities. Identify and source additional board members who could be potential donors.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports on network fundraising activities.
- Work with the External Affairs team to ensure the timely creation and distribution of fundraising materials, collateral, and briefings.
- Partner with other teams across the network to help cultivate and advance a culture of philanthropy.
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.