At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Artificial Intelligence could be one of humanity’s most useful inventions. At DeepMind, we’re a team of scientists, engineers, machine learning experts and more, working together to advance the state of the art in artificial intelligence. We use our technologies for widespread public benefit and scientific discovery, and collaborate with others on critical challenges, ensuring safety and ethics are the highest priority.
We’re a dedicated scientific community, committed to “solving intelligence” and ensuring our technology is used for widespread public benefit.
We’ve built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We don’t set limits based on what others think is possible or impossible. We drive ourselves and inspire each other to push boundaries and achieve ambitious goals!
We constantly iterate on our workplace experience with the goal of ensuring it encourages a balanced life. From excellent office facilities through to extensive manager support, we strive to support our people and their needs as effectively as possible.
Our list of benefits is extensive, and we’re happy to discuss this further throughout the interview process.
In the Applied Research Team, our purpose is to enable and facilitate the use of AI systems in the real world.
We formulate research questions inspired by applications and solve problems that block the safe and reliable deployment of AI. Our team partners with other teams in DeepMind on both applied and fundamental research projects.
Our research is grounded in applications with a potential for broad impact. We seek opportunities to improve products with the help of AI. Our team builds expertise and gains insight on applications by working on high-impact projects. We identify specific barriers preventing practical use of AI in the real world and focus on targeted and high risk research efforts which, in the medium to long-term, are likely to have outcomes with a path to production.
Having pioneered research in the world's leading academic and industrial labs in PhDs, post-docs or professorships, Research Scientists join DeepMind to work collaboratively within and across Research fields. They develop solutions to fundamental questions in machine learning, computational neuroscience and AI.
Drawing on expertise from a variety of fields including deep learning, reinforcement learning, computer vision, language, neuroscience, safety, control, robotics and multi-agent, our Research Scientists are at the forefront of groundbreaking research!
- Design, implement, and evaluate models, agents and software prototypes for real world AI.
- Bridge the gap between fundamental research and products by addressing research questions arising in real world problems and integrating novel research into applications.
- Report and present research findings and developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing.
- Engage actively in team collaborations to meet ambitious research goals.
- Work with external collaborators and maintain relationships with relevant research labs and key individuals as appropriate.
- Work in collaboration with our Ethics and Governance teams to ensure our advances in intelligence are developed ethically and provide broad benefits to humanity.
To set you up for success as a Research Scientist at DeepMind, we look for the following skills and experience:
- PhD in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong interest evaluating and demonstrating capabilities of AI in impactful applications.
In addition, the following would be an advantage:
- PhD in machine learning, cognitive science, neuroscience or computer science.
- Relevant experience to the position such as post doctoral roles, a proven track record of publications, or application of AI to products.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is between $148,000 - $227,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your targeted location during the hiring process.