About This Role:
CARS Software Engineering is looking for top talent to join our team for an exciting new phase of our business and technical evolution. In 2021, we are launching a new platform that will transform Cars.com, a 20-year-old public company, and will ultimately enable our continued innovation and fuel our mission.
Platform Engineering consists of teams responsible for critical data processing for Inventory & Leads, building APIs (REST and GraphQL), integration with enterprise technologies like Salesforce, and managing Event Streams with Kafka. These applications and systems provide our Product Engineering teams with a foundation of data and services from which to build applications and features quickly, easily, and consistently. They work closely with our Cloud Engineering and Developer Experience teams to ensure we are following our underlying infrastructure and development best practices in our cloud native (AWS) environment.
The ideal candidate will have experience in leading multiple software engineering teams, supporting critical backend applications and operations, and developing a technical roadmap for a platform. They should have strong technical skills in architecture, distributed systems design, and have worked on systems that scale for millions of users. Our leaders build strong teams, display servant leadership, put people first, and care deeply about team health and culture.
- Creating and implementing a roadmap to maintain, improve, and create efficiencies within our business critical systems related to Lead processing and Delivery, Inventory ingestion, Listings enhancement and Search, Salesforce integration, Event Streaming between the Operational Platform and our Data Platform
- Working within our Feedback loops to monitor and improve how we work and how the team is feeling
- Working with Product Owners and Product Engineering in creating solutions to solve business problems
- Working with Developer Experience and Cloud Engineering teams to ensure the Platform follows best practices and standards set by the Software Engineering team at large
- Development of Engineers and Engineering Managers on their teams
- Working closely with Finance and Vendor Management teams to manage purchasing, contracts, forecasting, accounting and budget concerns relating to Software Engineering
- Working closely with HR teams on hiring, onboarding, and performance management
- Collaborate with other leadership across the company to develop understanding of how Software Engineering can support their functions.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 15+ years of software development experience
- 8+ years of management experience in software engineering roles
- Built and shipped multiple products, applications, or systems to production
- Strong experience and knowledge of what it takes to operate a production platform
- Significant cloud-based infrastructure development and architecture experience in a senior role (5+ years)
- Strong knowledge of data acquisition, storage, and distribution patterns and best practices
- Ability to think critically about trade-offs in software design, and explain those tradeoffs to both engineers and non-engineers
- Experience in developing a vision for a technical platform, mixing business and technical concerns, with the ability to communicate that vision to a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent emotional intelligence and situational awareness in managing people and teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.