About This Role:
CARS Software Engineering is looking for top talent to join our team for an exciting new phase of our business and technical evolution. In 2021, we are launching a new platform that will transform Cars.com, a 20-year-old public company, and will ultimately enable our continued innovation and fuel our mission.
For this role, we are looking for a motivated Engineering leader to grow and develop the people on their team, contribute to the growth and maturation of the larger Software Engineering team, and ensure that high quality software is built and delivered for their stakeholders (usually, Product). The ideal candidate is passionate about the design, implementation, and development of a modern tool set built with web applications, API data exchange, and various ETL routines running in AWS.
This role is focused on the development, maintenance, and improvement of our data pipelines, APIs, integrations with enterprise software, and integrations with our Data Platform (big data, reporting, data science). It is important to be able to work with many types of stakeholders, from Engineering leaders in Product Engineering and Cloud Engineering roles, to teams and leaders across the business (Product, Customer Support, Sales, etc.).
- Mentor and coach engineers to design, build, maintain and operate areas of the platform related to ingesting, storing, and distributing data through ETL, APIs, and integrations
- Educate internal company teams on current platform capabilities, and provide creative direction toward new platform capabilities as required
- Lead engineering team culture via strong code review practice, project and team retrospectives
- Develop, maintain, and document Software Engineering best practices
- Lead and participate in an on-call rotation to support our Business
- Work with product stakeholders to develop solutions and estimates for software engineering work
- Work with software engineering leadership on technical direction and team feedback, in conjunction with a vision and roadmap for the operational platform.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Significant software engineering experience (10+ years)
- Demonstrated leadership experience in software engineering through team leadership or management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think critically about trade-offs in software design, and explain those tradeoffs to both engineers and non-engineers
- Experienced at mentoring junior engineers
- Skilled at receiving and delivering feedback, and developing action plans to promote improvement for people, teams, and organizations
- Built and shipped multiple products, applications, or systems to production.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.