Butlr is striving to make interior environments more people-aware. We have developed a breakthrough people sensing product and platform that uses wireless, thermal sensors to detect human presence and activity. Our product quickly and affordably understands the usage of space, and preserves the anonymity of human identity. Our product is incapable of capturing personally identifiable information.
Through the combination of privacy, ease of installation, time to value, and the lowest cost of ownership on market, our product is used by our customers and partners to provide spatial intelligence data and insights to make data-driven decisions in real estate. Added benefits include a reduction in wasted space, building-use efficiency, and a better employee experience. Senior living and healthcare settings are using our product to increase wellness and the standard of care.
About the Job:
Our growing company is seeking a Controller based in the greater Boston area.
The Controller will report directly to the CEO and is the key owner of daily accounting operations. This individual will be responsible for the financial statement close, internal and external reporting to investors, and upgrades to accounting and other financial systems.
- Owning various accounting processes (accounts receivable and billing, accounts payable and cash management) to insure a rapid and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial close.
- Manage and review preparation of all balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Provide detailed technical accounting guidance, particularly in relation to revenue recognition for contracts with customers
- Manage performance of our first annual audit including timely and accurate preparation of audit schedules. Primary liaison with independent auditors.
- Coordinate annual tax preparation with outside tax firm
- Implement changes to accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP
- Maintain database of company key performance indicators, and generate high level dashboard weekly for executive team
- Own pricing model for all aspects of business to ensure proper gross margins
- Manage annual renewal of non-benefit corporate insurance policies and act as liaison between insurance brokers and company for non-benefit related needs
- Propose improvements to inventory tracking, shipments and customer billing processes.
- Maintain and improve financial forecasting model for executive planning purposes
- Generate monthly reporting packages to ensure accuracy of financial information, including follow-up and resolution of any potential variances identified
- Drive annual budgeting process from start to finish
- Review payroll and act as backup for some HR functions
- Manage ad-hoc projects as assigned
- BS in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant preferred but not required
- 7 years of experience; Big 4 public accounting experience a plus
- Experience with revenue recognition rules (ASC 606)
- Previous experience as a Senior Accounting Manager or Assistant Controller level
- Experience with NetSuite, Carta, Salesforce, and Expensify preferred
- Experience in reporting and managing banking relationships
- Demonstrated record of highest professional ethics; ability to work proactively with all levels of the organization; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- World class team with low ego
- Founders won Forbes 30 Under 30 distinction in 2021
- A work environment that is flexible
- Supportive investors such as Founder Collective, Hyperplane, E14 Fund and 500 Startups, including amazing angel investors such as the founders of Whoop, Simplisafe, and the Chief Product Officer at Adobe.
- Generous paid time off
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Why working at Butlr is great!
We are building a culture that puts people first! We’re a team of engaging, motivated, and intelligent problem-solvers who are committed to making an impact. We believe in fostering a culture of healthy work-life balance, and we encourage an inviting, collaborative, fun work environment.
Butlr is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage and embrace applicants of all backgrounds to apply!
Butlr provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Butlr will comply with federal and state mandates regarding COVID-19 vaccinations. We will require employees coming on-site to be vaccinated or in compliance with weekly testing requirements.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.