Atai is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative treatments and processes to treat mental health disorders for everyone, everywhere. We operate a decentralized model whereby Atai incubates, acquires and supports individual platform companies by providing them strategic and operational functions centrally, allowing our platform companies to stay lean and agile in their clinical pursuits, whilst also being able to leverage the expertise of a multibillion-dollar global biotechnology company. Atai is pursuing a world-first strategy to deploy our clinical compounds alongside a clinically validated digital ecosystem which aims to utilize cutting edge technology, clinical protocol, human-interaction psychology and data science to enhance the clinical efficacy and engagement of our compounds.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Data Scientist to join Atai as one of the first hires into our data science team and with autonomy and influence to drive the direction of the team. You will sit within the emerging and rapidly growing Digital Product and Data function of the company, which spans both the Strategy & Innovation and R&D areas of the company as it supports all atai’s programs. You will be using entire data sets obtained from our ground-breaking clinical trials that will span clinical and digital biomarkers, patient health information and clinician & patient reported outcome measures, as well as data from real world sources. You will be working with data across geographies in an environment that will put data controls and governance at the heart of its activities. You will drive our data strategy to enhance therapy personalization and optimize clinical trial activity.
This is a unique and entrepreneurial opportunity to drive from inception the analytics strategy of a leading global mental health biotechnology company.
- Working closely with the clinical, strategy and wider Digital Product and Data team to understand the key problems the business is trying to solve, the optimal data sets to study in order to solve them and opining on how best to product develop in order to capture these data sets
- Assisting in the development of data collecting applications and websites. Collecting data through both instrumented digital products and traditional medical instrumentation (e.g. EEG, fMRI, etc)
- Collecting real world and clinical trial data and creating new, experimental frameworks and tools to collect such data.
- Coordinating research and analytic activities utilizing various data points (unstructured and structured) and employ programming to clean, massage, and organize the data into actionable reports
- Developing Machine Learning models that achieve our aim of personalizing treatment profile and predicting treatment response
- Communicating the findings from data and results, including displaying the data visually and intuitively.
- Responsibility for future growth plans of the data science team.
Experience / Qualifications:
- 6-8 years of work experience as a Data Scientist or similar role
Familiarity with business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau)
Strong statistical background skills, ideally a MSc, PhD or equivalent in statistics, biostatistics or in a related discipline
Experience with common data science toolkits including SQL, Python and/or R
Advanced ability to perform exploratory data analysis and proven experience working and querying in large, complex and messy data sets
Ability to communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way
Experience with machine learning and AI
Excellent attention to detail
Exceptional technical writing skills
Eligible to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship
- Background in psychology, chemistry or medicine
- Experience in life science or digital therapeutics
A candidate for this job should relish complex technical challenges yet prioritize simplicity in their solutions. They should strive to understand the business requirements behind the software and analytics they build.
All candidates must be able to promote a risk‐aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to and researching relevant best practices and requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At atai, we are committed to providing an environment of diversity, inclusion and mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.