Arzeda is solving some of today’s hardest and most meaningful problems – from food and nutrition to sustainable materials and homecare – by designing proteins that have the limitless potential to change everyone’s daily life. Our team has developed a proven technology platform that merges computational protein design, machine learning, and synthetic biology tools to produce proteins, enzymes, and bio-based processes more efficiently than even Mother Nature. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet. At Arzeda, we value a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
We are seeking an Associate Scientist to join our Genetic Design and Build team. You will make important contributions to our production platform for building and sequencing DNA constructs in a high-throughput manner. As an Associate Scientist in a growing team, you will carry out various molecular biology and microbiology methods, using robots to perform DNA assemblies and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) to drive the testing of a truly massive number of protein designs for all projects at Arzeda.
Arzeda is located in Seattle, Washington. Nestled among the historic and artistic neighborhoods of Ballard, Fremont and Queen Anne, you'll find the right balance of activities and relaxation. Whether you're indulging your inner foodie at one of many unique restaurants, drinking a craft beverage after a day at the beach, or enjoying a picturesque walk through the Sunday Market, you'll be proud to call Seattle your home.
- Various molecular biology and microbiology methods such as PCR, DNA purification, DNA quantification, DNA assembly reactions, transformations, colony picking, cell culturing, minipreps, NGS prep, and NGS analysis.
- The use and programming of automation robots for all Genetic Design & Build workflows, including platform development.
- Planning and recording experimental workflow information that facilitate the high-throughput assembly and production of DNA constructs.
- Collaborate with other Genetic Design & Build team members and other teams across the company to achieve crucial milestones.
- Lab work at the bench will be required, along with the use of various computational tools as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Synthetic Biology, Bioengineering, or bio-related field.
- Experience with relevant instrumentation and techniques; PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA purification / extraction.
Nice-to-haves (but not required):
- Technical understanding and experience utilizing modern DNA assembly techniques such as Gibson Assembly, and experimentally validating the results of those assemblies using NGS.
- Experience with software needed for efficient DNA design and assembly is desired.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and experience working on teams.
- Experience using an electronic laboratory notebook or Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is desired.
Arzeda compensation and benefits include:
- Comprehensive compensation package, to include equity
- Paid time off; company-observed holidays to include a company paid holiday closure between Dec 25 and Jan 1; and paid medical/family leave
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance to include options for Health Savings Accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Commuter benefits
Arzeda is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.