Archer is an aerospace company based in Palo Alto, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What You’ll Do
- Design Power Electronics components like plastic housings, sheet metal brackets, insulation systems, high voltage connectors, fasteners, structural supports, transformers, etc.
- Collaborate with other mechanical, systems, electrical, safety and manufacturing engineers to optimize your design for overall vehicle performance.
- Analyze designs to ensure they meet requirements using heat transfer, thermal analysis, design for assembly, structural calculations, and failure mode analysis, etc.
- Develop engineering test plans for designs.
- Solve electrical design challenges like thermal management, HV electrical isolation, HV interconnects, shock and vibration survival, environmental sealing, electromagnetic interference, etc.
- Create component drawings and work with suppliers to manufacture your designs.
- Lead engineering prototype builds and design validation testing.
What You Need
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of relevant Mechanical Design experience.
- Experience designing components for high power electronic assemblies like power supplies, converters, drive inverters, chargers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to design packaging for an electronics systems from a blank sheet to production.
- Experience with PCBA mechanical design.
- Experience shipping high-volume electronics products.
- Strong mechanical design analytical skill in structural analysis, fluids, thermals, heat transfer, materials, etc.
- Strong 3D design experience and skill, preferably with NX and/or SolidWorks.
- Basic understanding of electrical design fundamentals.
- Basic Matlab or Python skill.
- Familiarity with thermal and structural finite element analysis methods and tools (STAR CCM, ANSYS, ICEPACK, COMSOL).
- Experience with GD&T, design for reliability, and design for manufacturing.
- Experience with product life management systems, including BOMs and engineering change orders.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, soldering, welding, diecast, PCB fabrication, etc.
- Experience designing components for aerospace or automotive requirements
- Hands on experience with aviation DO-160G testing and DO-254 development
- Passion for aviation and eVTOLs