Here at Appian, our core values of Respect, Work to Impact, Ambition, and Constructive Dissent & Resolution define who we are. In short, this means we constantly seek to understand the best for our customers, we go beyond completion in our work, we strive for excellence with intensity, and we embrace candid communication. These values guide our actions and shape our culture every day. When you join Appian, you'll be part of a passionate team that's dedicated to accomplishing hard things.
Senior Software Engineer - Engineering Services
At Appian, we’re not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy, and innovation; great people, great software! As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Appian, you will apply software engineering solutions to operational problems and drive the resolution of customer escalations, working closely with our product and support teams, and drive changes that will improve our organization overall.
- You have 5+ years experience as a Software Engineer based role and either a BS in Computer Science, or a related field, or MS in Computer Science, or a related field.
- Strong skills in programming and debugging a complex Java application deployed in an application server
- Familiarity with modern observability tools (Grafana, Prometheus, or equivalent)
- You have strong communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills; ability to convey complex, emergent, problems in a way that lets us focus on solving the root cause of the problem, rather than its symptoms.
- You have a proven ability to make difficult decisions about what to prioritize and what to ignore. You identify where you can make the most beneficial impact for our customers and continue working until that benefit has been achieved.
- You’re passionate about adding data to our processes where it’s missing so that we can gain insight in to where our problems are
- You’re analytical by nature with an innate ability to understand and solve failures due to complex system interactions.
- You understand the value of open-source technologies, how they add capabilities that we would not want to build and maintain ourselves, and know how to get them deployed and adopted in a mature software development environment.
- Most importantly, you’re passionate about keeping the customers we have happy with our product!
How you’ll contribute:
- Be a strong contributor to software projects, implementing core aspects and providing feedback on their purpose, desired outcomes, and business impact
- Participate as a key team member, providing code reviews, feedback on designs, and mentoring junior developers.
- Contribute to the definition of Service Level Agreements for critical services, driving adoption and helping squads meet those agreements sustainably.
- Suggest and prioritize new services and tools we should introduce to streamline our customer support processes in order to meet our Service Level Agreements sustainably.
- Promote features and practices that strengthen and enable a culture of continuous improvement.
- Support our customers, responding to escalation from our customer support department, so that customers are able to use our product fully at all times.
- Align with feature squads and our customer support department to understand our customer needs and set appropriate expectations.
Preferred Experience Level:
5+ years of relevant experience
BE/B.Tech/B.S. in Computer Science, or a related field, M.S. preferred
Tools and Resource
- Training and Development: During onboarding, we focus on equipping new hires with the skills and knowledge for success through department-specific training. Continuous learning is a central focus at Appian, with dedicated mentorship and the First-Friend program being widely utilized resources for new hires.
- Growth Opportunities: Appian provides a diverse array of growth and development opportunities, including our leadership program tailored for new and aspiring managers, a comprehensive library of specialized department training through Appian University, skills based training, and tuition reimbursement for those aiming to advance their education. This commitment ensures that employees have access to a holistic range of development opportunities.
- Community: We’ll immerse you into our community rooted in respect starting on day one. Appian fosters inclusivity through our 8 employee-led affinity groups. These groups help employees build stronger internal and external networks by planning social, educational, and outreach activities to connect with Appianites and larger initiatives throughout the company.
Appian is a software company that automates business processes. The Appian AI-Powered Process Platform includes everything you need to design, automate, and optimize even the most complex processes, from start to finish. The world's most innovative organizations trust Appian to improve their workflows, unify data, and optimize operations—resulting in better growth and superior customer experiences. For more information, visit appian.com. [Nasdaq: APPN]
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination. Appian provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees in accordance with all applicable laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.