Here at Appian, we’re passionate about automation, speed, and efficiency; and the CIO department is a great place to apply these values! From Information Security, Business Technology, to Solution Engineering, joining Appian will provide you with the opportunity to lead technical strategy, execution and communication for all applications to support Appian employees, customers, and partners across the world. Join us, as we work collaboratively to grow Appian across the world.
Appian’s information security department is growing and seeking a security engineer to ensure adherence to strong security standards and to assist in automating the detection, reporting and prevention of security risk. This individual will work in a dynamic environment and be exposed to modern cloud technologies and security frameworks, and become an expert in our global security control environment.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Work with both established and emerging technologies across the business to ensure security risk is identified, quantified, and addressed
- Interact directly with development teams to assess new and evolving solutions and products for strong security implementation
- Identify security impact and related risk within product and infrastructure level designs
- Ensure continuous control implementation and security policy enforcement through risk identification & analysis processes, and by analyzing environments, technologies, and activity patterns
- Identify and prioritize the highest impact areas and help to ensure a high degree of automation and assurance is implemented throughout
- Partner with other security and engineering teams to identify and implement automation through pipeline automation
- Build security analysis programs that operate at scale with minimal impact on developers
- Quantify and communicate risk to management across the business to drive systemic improvements
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Days filled with unique and exciting challenges—everyday is different!
- Advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals
- Appian product training, plus additional training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role
- Our team is rapidly growing, and with growth comes opportunity!
- Unlimited (flex) PTO, hybrid working arrangement, and flexible working hours.
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in related field of study
- 5+ years experience in Information Technology (IT) / Information Security or a related field
- Ability to evaluate environments, architectures, and plans against technical requirements to identify gaps or risk against published standards or requirements, and communicate this risk to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong capability to learn new technologies and methodologies quickly, and understanding of how to identify related security risk
- Excellent problem solver with a talent for identifying creative solutions to implement policies/standards at scale (preferably as code)
- Ability to work collaboratively with business, security and operational teams
- Self driven and independent learner
- Expertise in one or more risk analysis processes (FAIR, NIST, MITRE ATT&CK, etc.) and understanding of security control requirements (ISO 27001, FedRAMP, NIST, HITRUST, PCI DSS, etc.)
- Strong understanding of and experience in securing workloads and infrastructure on AWS, Azure, or GCP and modern Cloud Native technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, serverless, etc.)
- Experience evaluating architectures and configuration for: effective data protection, proper use of cryptography, network security, authentication and authorization, etc.
- Experience securing operating systems such as Linux, Windows, and macOS environments
- Experience with one or more CI/CD and development cycle security tools (Snyk, semgrep, etc.)
- Experience with scripting or programming languages (Python, Java, etc.)
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.